Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just unboxed a new aftermarket chrome bumper that I purchased. This one was supposed to be better than some of the cheaper ones offered from the same place and it was said to be licensed by GM as a restoration piece. I was shocked at how wavy it is. I brought to my body shop where my car is currently getting some work done and the body guy did not want to install it. He said it was about as bad as he's seen. If you run your hand down the length of it you can feel dozens of dips. Here are a couple of photos of the ends where the chrome is dull and I've attached a link to a YouTube video I made of the bumper. It looks even worse in person, but the video captures what photos can't. Here is my question to everyone. I don't have an original bumper to have re-chromed. The bumper that was on the car when I bought it was an aftermarket with pitting. Is the quality of this bumper about what I can expect from any of the aftermarket vendors or did I get a bad one? I don't want to be unreasonable in my expectations, but I'm also not happy with it. Your thoughts. Thanks.

Paul

Link:

Hood Window Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
I have had no problems with OER bumpers. I Definitely wouldn't use that one.

·
16,683 Posts
I’ve used more than a few repops. Never had an issue like this.

Not good.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's the feedback I was looking for. Kind of makes me wish I had not prematurely destroyed the box it came in. :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well, that's the feedback I was looking for. Kind of makes me wish I had not prematurely destroyed the box it came in. :(
Even the older reproduction bumpers were decent. Due dilligence will pay off, and know what to look for.…holes for mounting bracket locations. Craigslist is where I would look, as you’ll find one locally. NOS=real money.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just unboxed a new aftermarket chrome bumper that I purchased. This one was supposed to be better than some of the cheaper ones offered from the same place and it was said to be licensed by GM as a restoration piece. I was shocked at how wavy it is. I brought to my body shop where my car is currently getting some work done and the body guy did not want to install it. He said it was about as bad as he's seen. If you run your hand down the length of it you can feel dozens of dips. Here are a couple of photos of the ends where the chrome is dull and I've attached a link to a YouTube video I made of the bumper. It looks even worse in person, but the video captures what photos can't. Here is my question to everyone. I don't have an original bumper to have re-chromed. The bumper that was on the car when I bought it was an aftermarket with pitting. Is the quality of this bumper about what I can expect from any of the aftermarket vendors or did I get a bad one? I don't want to be unreasonable in my expectations, but I'm also not happy with it. Your thoughts. Thanks.

Paul

Link:

View attachment 293349

View attachment 293350
Did you contact the place you bought it from?

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I was upset about the quality of my reproduction bumper until I read this post. Your eye is drawn to the shiny chromed bumper. It has to be straight.

When you get your new bumper, check the mounting holes to see if they are drilled in the right spot. Mine were not. I had to modify the bumper brackets to fit the bumper.

Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

My bumper was not bent correctly but it was not wavy or pitted.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting

I was able to bend it and make it acceptable.

Wood Floor Automotive exterior Flooring Comfort

I showed you the photos because you might need to fix any reproduction bumper. I feel yours is not fixable unless you start over and straighten and rechrome the bumper. The other option is to remove the chrome, fill in the pits and waves, and then paint the bumper. :(

The company you bought it from might not want you to return it after they see the video and photos. They might just send you a new one. It does not hurt to ask. :)

If all else fails, Unistrut makes a nice bumper.

Vehicle Grille Hood Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
88 Posts

Paul

Link:

View attachment 293349

View attachment 293350
That bumper is horrible, to put it nicely, and I haven't even watched the video. I see nice used first gen OEM bumpers all the time on my local Craigslist. I'd go that route and get it re-chromed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 68 camaro, I believe 68 it fits 68 rear. It’s gm. I bought it to see fitment versus a repo,
lit seems straight and not bad, needs chromed but a good piece. I don’t need it. I can ship it

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
Keep us posted. I would like to know who the vendor is.

"licensed by GM as a restoration " just means GM is getting a cut. IMHO, has nothing to do with correctness or quality.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 68 camaro, I believe 68 it fits 68 rear. It’s gm. I bought it to see fitment versus a repo,
lit seems straight and not bad, needs chromed but a good piece. I don’t need it. I can ship it
Thanks so much for the offer, but it's the front bumper I'm replacing.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep us posted. I would like to know who the vendor is.

"licensed by GM as a restoration " just means GM is getting a cut. IMHO, has nothing to do with correctness or quality.
Not to front any particular company out, but here is a photo of the label.

Sleeve Font Gas Rectangle T-shirt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts