Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket one inch rear sway bar removed from a 67.

One hole drilled through each frame rail to mount the upper bracket for the links.

Bar bolted to the bottom spring plates using the existing U bolts.

Any idea who made it?

I SUSPECT, but don't know for certain, that the two ears welded on the bar just inside each lower link were added

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suspect this was marketed as a second gen bar. I saw a post by David Pozzi that he had installed the 2nd gen bar on first gens, and that it fit better than the one marketed for first gens. I also suspect that is what the welded on ears were for, to make certain the lower links didn't walk.

This bar fit very well. It was just all wrong for the car it came off of. The car still had the original 11/16 front sway bar.

·
10,160 Posts
That’s a Herb Adams VSE bar.
Back in the 70’s I did install a second gen bar on my 67 Camaro. The bar was a bit too wide at the ends, so I welded brackets to my spring plates. Also made brackets for the frame rails.

The second gen rear bar I like on a first gen is the Hotchkis rear bar. The Hotchkis first gen rear bar end links attach to the rear seat pan which isn’t very strong. Then they came up with a crossmember to attach the end links, but the bar is narrow & can interfere with some exhaust systems. Their second gen bar end links bolt to the frame rails & fit the first gen width perfectly. I did have to shorten the end link mounting bracket tubes that go through the frame rails, so it’s not a straight bolt on.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It looks exactly like the hellwig bar on my 68. Mine does not have the welded on ears.
The frame mounts suck. I ended up welding a spacer and reinforcement plates to the frame rail. I also cut the top part of the link off and welded on jeep sway bar bushing ends to both sides.
My 71 had that same bar on it when I bought it, and my 73 had the same bar in the pile of parts I got with it.

It does not look like the bar hellwig currently offers

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey guys how did you get a rear sway bar to fit on a 67 with the factory traction bar ?. I was going to install one but that factory traction bar is in the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts