Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can install harnass seatbelt without using a role cage in a original interior of my 67'. I read several articals that the original seatbelt will actually do more damage to your body if in a accident. P.S I finally finished my 67' over the weekend and drove it for the first time after several years of resto....what a great feeling

·
Registered
142 Posts
I installed an RCI "floor mount" harness using the 2 stock attaching points and drilling new holes in the floor.

This is better than just the stock lap belt, but it's still not safe. In a serious accident it might even do some damage to one's back and would certainly break the collar bones b/c the floor mount style has the shoulder harnesses going over your shoulder and straight down to the floor.

I now have a 6 point roll bar and the harness is mounted to the bar. I feel much, much safer.

But just about anything is better than a simple lap belt. And a 35 year old lap belt is downright scary and crazy to rely on.

-gw

·
Registered
142 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CFunK:
Look at how many people are ejected or tossed into the windshield without some kind of restraining system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But have you ever seen what a human face looks like after hitting the steering wheel? Especially the old wheels like our 1st gens that are hard and unforgiving.

A woman in a 1st gen Mustang died by my old house when she ran off the road. She was wearing her lap belt, but the momentum swung her head right at the steering wheel with great force.

I'm not sure if I'd rather plant my face in the wheel or go through the windshield. Neither one sounds like much fun.

-gw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts