Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright lets start with the fact I am a newbie. Mechanically inclined and all but haveno experience with this engine. So far 2 ppl have told me there is little to do for performance. Is this true??

Next What bolt ons can I add for better performance? I am not look to race but this car is really lacking power off the line.
I want to keep cost down if possible (before engine swapping) or anything drastic.

I was thinking the following 2 mods. Cold air intake and computer change out. Please Help.....

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
welcome..
the 3.4 will respond to the same mods as any other engine will- it is, after all, just an air pump. it's just a small air pump with little aftermarket support. start with exhaust, then a better air intake system. this will get rid of any choke points when you dig into camshafts and head work- maybe the heads could be ported for more flow and milled for more compression. GM sells a few cams for these engines, and I'm sure Crane and Comp and a few others make cams. getting that computer redone along the way to match the modifications will help. add steeper gears in the rear end- 4.10 or 4.56 would really wake the thing up. shed some weight- do you really need AC and a thumping stereo? sound deadener is dead weight, as is the back seat on those cars. lighter seats are available. get rid of anything that you don't want or need for the intended use of the car. look at it this way- it's just a base model, so you really aren't killing much in the way of value by taking stuff off.
notice how i didn't mention nitrous- do it the real way, or don't do it at all. i know some will disagree with me, but any schmoe can bolt a blue bottle in the trunk and go fast. if you want (relatively) cheap and easy- go with the bottle. if you want to learn something and get to know your car, do it the hard way- get your hands dirty and optimize everything.
worried about resale value?you can pick up late model Camaros or firebirds for 2-3 thousand dollars around these parts, and the price goes lower everyday.
sometime down the line, when the V6 just isn't cutting it and you have the car stripped to the bare essentials, just think what a rowdy V8 would be like in the same car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts