Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not sure where to post this so feel free to move it. My car after 14 years is very near done and I need to get a new ins policy as it is only insured for $6000.00 at this time. I called my ins guy where I have all my ins. and he told me that Erie will not give me agreed value ins. He sells American collectors and Formost ins. for classic cars. He was telling me some of the resrictions on driving and even some will not pay if you are not with your car if it is damaged at a car show? This did not give me a good feeling about this whole thing.
What is the best company for this kind of ins. and do any of you have any experance with the 2 companys that he deals with good or bad? also what kid of rules do they have? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
1st condition is what are you planning on doing with the car. Use it occassionally for shows and weekend drives, or drive it to work once in a while or shopping. There are several posts on collector car Ins lately, but I just had a experience in Feb 07 with Hagerty. You want agreed value only. My 69 was totaled during a weekend drive, no car show, beautiful day. Called Hagerty and after the car was inspected and totaled by them, I had a check in hand 3 days later for the agreed value. You need to have the car locked in a garage, show proof that everyone in your household that drives has there own car. You cannot use it as a daily driver. If it's taken you 14yrs to complete, I doubt that your going to be leaving it in a parking lot without you there by it. I have never heard of not covering the car at a show if your not by it. Collector car ins is cheap but there are some restrictions that some people have problems with. Hagerty has never checked or asked about my mileage. I give them a Thumbs Up because of the way they took care of me when I needed them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll have to agree with Dennis (Mad Max) on Hagerty. I was out on a Friday coming home from showing off my car to a couple of friends and was rear ened by a lady not paying attention. She had Mercury Insurance and I have Hagerty. I just called Hagerty and they took care of everything. I went to where I wanted to go to have the repairs done and Hagerty paid and sent a bill to Mercury to recope the cost they put out. My vote is for Hagerty. I have an Agreed Value of $30K.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
OK, now how do I set the value of my old car??

It's been extensively, mechanically restified to about modern, (now 496 engined), but is still body-wise, my old smelly original car w/ only a poor cheap stock type re-paint job on it...

Count my receipts and guess??

pdq67

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I called Hagerty directly. Allstate does not own them. Good to hear some real-world feedback.

Paul, you decide pretty much how much coverage you want. The 496 may cause the 'modified' category which translates to 50% surcharge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had American insurance for my 68. The turn around was really fast, granted they weren't going to argue after the hurricane. But the service while I had them was also good and the restrictions weren't too bad. I just set a reasonable amount to insure and they agreed on the price, the yearly payment just goes up or down depending on the amount covered like regular insurance.
If you aren't driving it alot and have a locked garage, I would say do it. Just make sure they send you ALL of the restrictions to cover yourself. You could get those before signing with them.

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
My cheap brother about 10 years ago had an agreed value of 4k on his 68 converti. He thought it would be enough to fix it if he had a wreck. his garage caught on fire and went to the ground in less than 10 minutes. A cast iron 4 barrel manifold in the attic went through the hood. There was not one part of the car salvageable. And the 4k didn't go too far. But the good news was... He saved a few bucks on his car insurance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts