Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a Edelbrock 7104 Performer RPM intake manifold for the Q-Jet on my 69 350 with cowl induction. I know the stock cowl induction air cleaner assy will be to tall to fit under the hood with the high rise intake and I was wondering what you guys replaced the stock air cleaner assembly with? Can the cowl induction air cleaner extension piece (3" wide black band) be removed and just the flange with the seal be reinstalled on to the cleaner assy base? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Don't see why not. My BBC with a Torquer2 works. The air cleaner just sits on a small spacer about a half inch tall.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I have a 68 with the Performer RPM and a Holley 650cfm. My air filter is an open element type about 3" tall. The carb sits on a 3/8" gasket and there is a 1" ring that sits on top of the carb so the lower filter housing will clear the bowls.

The top of the air filter hits the back of the opening in the cowl hood. I have been planning to trim away metal on the hood and dress it up before painting. However, now I'm rethinking my project - the engine and subframe are coming out. I may see about using different engine mounts to move the engine forward a fuzz (same mounts people use for getting a big-body HEI to fit). But, I've got time to figure that one out.

The way I figured out the fitment issue was with a good ol' ball of clay. I placed it on top of the filter housing and gently closed the hood until I found the interferance. One way or another I'll get it to work, but something will be needed for a clean fit. I estimate the top of the filter housing will just barely fit up inside the cowl hood by 3/8" or so.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the lower filter base plate low profile? That sure helps.
The lower base is the stock unit. I can take the original cleaner assy apart and just use the base but I don't want to ruin good original parts. For now I used the base for an Edelbrock 14" round filter but it just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
The lower base is the stock unit. I can take the original cleaner assy apart and just use the base but I don't want to ruin good original parts. For now I used the base for an Edelbrock 14" round filter but it just doesn't look right.
I am using the stock low profile base , but without the spacer ring for my cowl hood and Airgap intake. If its any higher than that , you just have to mix parts.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using the stock low profile base , but without the spacer ring for my cowl hood and Airgap intake. If its any higher than that , you just have to mix parts.
Don, that's what I was going to do but I couldn't figure out how to get the spacer ring off of the base without damaging either of the parts. I looked and couldn't find just a low profile base anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts