Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.......So my 454 is mounted on BBC frame stands with the correct rubbers,I have a Edelbrock performer Q-jet alloy intake and i'm going to run the original Q-jet carb for now
I have a S.S cowl hood but theres no way a 14" air filter will fit as the engine sits along way to the passenger side THUS stopping any possible fitment of a large filter??
What have i done wrong??
Gav

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gav, I have the same setup as you do, BB with 2" cowel hood. I will be putting this all together this winter. I was also wondering how an air cleaner will fit symmetrically up and into the space in the hood if the BB cars have their engines mt'd 1 inch to the right.
I read a post on making an air cleaner base from a ...cake pan? Hope it doesn't come to that but it would be great if someone out there with this setup could tell us how this will all come together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a 68 RS/SS with a 454 in it. I purchased the L78 (dropped ) open air cleaner and all the proper throttle linkage and had no problems with the aftermarket high rise. This was all with a std SS big block hood. I have to think that with the cowl you would have some extra room. wouldn't a factory Cowl air cleaner set up work being that it was designed for the car with the L78's? I have some interest in this as I am contemplating dropping a BB in my 69 vert but I want to retain the factory SS hood.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the front off the car still,when i close the hood the carb is sitting up into the air cleaner cut out,But its an easy 2 inches towards the passenger side......I will try to post a picture up tomorrow night,
Gav

1 - 6 of 6 Posts