Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size air cleaner will fit between hood insulation and a Demon carb sitting on a Performer RPM? Does it have to be a drop base or will a shorter, sufficient unit work? It's a sbc. I don't mind removing the hood insulation if I have to but I'd rather not.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
What size air cleaner will fit between hood insulation and a Demon carb sitting on a Performer RPM? Does it have to be a drop base or will a shorter, sufficient unit work? It's a sbc. I don't mind removing the hood insulation if I have to but I'd rather not.
If it's a stock hood you will need a drop base. If you have a drop base, check to see if it clears the choke mechanism. You may need to trim the base to clear it. Spectre sells spacers to lift the drop base either by 1/4" or 1/2".

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-4950

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I have a performer RPM and Demon and am using a K&N 1.5 inch element (I think) and XStream top with no drop base and it works well. The filter is a total of 2" high but I'm pretty sure it was their 1.5" filter. I am not a fan of drop base air cleaners. This is on a 68 so check anything you install before you slam the hood.

·
Super Moderator
32,598 Posts
Get some clay, make columns, and place on top of the carb and close the hood.
Open hood and measure height of squished columns.

A lowered top affects the air route into carb main body.
Should be a smooth transition as in a radiused corner rather than an elbow - too much tumbling.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a performer RPM and Demon and am using a K&N 1.5 inch element (I think) and XStream top with no drop base and it works well. The filter is a total of 2" high but I'm pretty sure it was their 1.5" filter. I am not a fan of drop base air cleaners. This is on a 68 so check anything you install before you slam the hood.
I assume 1.5 is sufficient? Is that the top that is a filter?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I assume 1.5 is sufficient? Is that the top that is a filter?
With a drop base you should be able to get a 14" X 3" air filter to fit.

1-1/2" tall filter will definitely hurt the airflow and hp.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds right. Any particular brand that sits well on a demon to give me the 3 inches? Moroso. K&n?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sounds right. Any particular brand that sits well on a demon to give me the 3 inches? Moroso. K&n?
Demon sells a drop base, but a cheap drop base will work , but may need the 1/4" spectre spacer.

I'm going to use an old drop base with a new hi-quality lid because the chrome on the cheap ones is lousy

I think the filter part # is Delco A212CW , about $6.50 at RockAuto

or Fram CA136

It came on Vettes and Camaros, open element

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I looked at the Demon but I think it was just a .5 drop if I recall. I'm not sure how much taller the performer rpm is vs the stock intake but guessing 1.5-2.0. Might need to do a 2 inch drop base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts