Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase an air compressor setup for my garage but am unsure of needs. I only have 120v outlets so that limits the selection. I would use it to do minor maintenance (i.e. grinders, impact wrench, nail gun, etc.). I'd like a vertical unit to save space.
What do you experts suggest?

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would look at the tools you are considering using and find out what their CFM and PSI requirements are. Once you know what the requirements are you can go shopping for a compressor. Sears has a 175 psi upright that should be able to run these tools. I think it is 30 gallon and it is 120v. It is less than $400.

------------------
Kent
67 SS 427

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
http://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000139.html

Read through this whole posting of info. on compressors, its very good and should help you answer your questions.
When in doubt, always use the 'search' function on here, its great for getting quicker answers than waiting for someone to run across your question. Good luck

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,ps,am/fm,4.10 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
348 Posts
DON'T BUY A CRAFTSMAN!!!!!

Let me be clear about this

DO NOT BUY A CRAFTSMAN!!!!!!!

Get a belt driven cast iron pump oil sump compressor. I saw a Husky (re-badged Campbell Hausfield) for $380 that was 60 gallon, 7 horse, 120 volts at Home Depot.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' Red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic.

·
3,528 Posts
Dave,
The only thing I will say is do NOT get an oil-less compressor. One of my guys brought his in for temporary use while we were moving into our new building and all I can say is that I have never heard any piece of equipment make as much noise, or as aggravating a noise as that thing did. Make sure and buy a belt driven type unit.
My personal compressor at home is a Craftsman 3 hp that I have had for close to 30 years. You can hardly hear it run and I have never had a bit of trouble with it.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 03-14-2002).]

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
As the not so proud owner of a 6HP/60 gallon oiless Craftsman, I can tell you that what people are saying is true. They work great (I have had it for many years) and have never had a problem out of it. I bought it when they first came out, so I had no idea I would need hearing protection to operate it. It is LOUD and annoying, you will NOT get used to it. It is a matter of time before I get rid of it and get a oil bathe belt driven compressor. Home Depot has some good units at good prices. If you have a Sams Club you might want to check there as well.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/

·
10,164 Posts
do a search of the archives here on it.
You want cast iron pump
slow running pump rpm. Most cheap ones rev the heck out of a small pump. You want a bigger slower running pump for quieter operation.

high volume (SCFM)
large tank 220V
try to go 5 hp minimum. more if sandblasting or DA sanding, etc.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dave, i just went through this - I was certain that i would end up with a cast iron pump oil model since my previous one was a oil-less noisy screamer. i ended up at Craftsman and we plugged in a few of them. I went home with the black professional series Craftsman upright - oil-less 2 stage. it runs at 1750 rpm which is about half of what all the others do, and it is EXTREMELY QUIET! I LOVE it! I've been using the heck out of it, and it is fabulous. i highly recommend it if you want a 120V, QUIET, general home-shop model. it has a 175psi tank, it doesn't have to refill too often, it runs pretty much everything except constant duty with a DA. I urge you to check this out. you'll be amazed at how quiet it is and it's a quality unit. I beleive it's made by Devilbiss. go to www.sears.com and doa search on part number 16778.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The oiless compressors definately have their place, but it is not for constant everyday use in a shop. Great for the occasional tire change or blowout of a carb.

·
10,164 Posts
I still like an oil type compressor for long life. My old craftsman 5 hp compressor was worked so hard - it ran hours on end with a DA sander and glass beader. It really wasn't up to the job and I'd have to stop and let it catch up.
The compressor got so hot I put a portable fan blowing on it to keep it from frying.
I bought it in mid 70's and it's still working! It's kinda noisy compared to a slow running type though but they do cost more...
I guess you have to balance cost and use...
I suspect the oilless can't be worked as hard and live as long, but who knows?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Two months ago I got a new unit that i think would fit your needs. Its an upright 26-gallon, oil lubed, 5Hp, belt driven unit from Home Depot. It's made by Campbell-Hausfeld but labelled Husky. It came with wheels, but I bolted it to a wood pallet. I highly recommend it. I almost went with the Sears upright oil-less 175 Psi that Camaro-69ss bought, which was surprisingly quiet for an oil-less. But after talking to a Hausfeld-Campbell rep. the choice was simple. Hausfeld-campbell makes both oil-less and oil-lubed. Their oil-lubed units carry a 3-year warrenty, the oil-less only carry a 1-year warrenty. That must mean something. P.S. Ingersol-rand just recalled 500.000 home-sized units due to explosion hazard. If you got one check their website.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the Husky(Campell Hasfeild)6.5 60 gallon and am happy with it.Its 220 and is not to loud.It runs anything and it will keep up with a paint gun and a DA pretty well.I found that some brands of air tools use a lot more air than others so keep that in mind.Like my Ingersol rand Da empties the compressor in no time,but my craftsman Da can go all day long.Also piping makes a big difference.I ran a hose right off my compressor and i couldnt get enough pressure to spray my HVLP paint gun.I piped my garage with 3/4 inch copper with the first outlet 25 FT. from the compressor and i have plenty of pressure now.Go figure, but it works.By the way its not that big of a deal to run 220,you get way more compressor when you step up to a 220 model.

[This message has been edited by ochrisl (edited 03-17-2002).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts