Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
I converted my stock 72 over to R134. I replaced the o-rings and drier. The system was evacuated and re-charged. Works fine. I'm not sure about the stock compressor as I converted to a March serpentine set-up and changed my compressor to a new Sanden style. The condenser, etc. is fine for the R134.

Jody

·
Registered
312 Posts
if it is a working system, you just need to evac it and use a conversion charge kit on it.

i have done this to about 50 vehical's. with no problem. if the system in non-op it would be best to change all the O-rings and the acumulator/dryer and the compreser.

also flush the system too. R-134a will burn if compressed with oxegen in the system. R-12 did not do this. the flush will get rid of old oil and other contamination.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Where are you? If it gets hot-100 deg.+ or your AC duct temp goes up a bunch when sitting at lights,you will need an extra cooling fan on the condenser.134a runs at higher temp.and pressure,with the same condenser as r12.I've blown up enough systems,or had cooling problems.If your car runs hot,the AC system will die.Basically, if you can keep your high side pressures under 350-375# when idling for 10 minutes,and then holding it at 1500 RPM for 1 minute,when it's real hot out,you're all right.

------------------
68 z28 68 rs 327 73 454 vette

1 - 4 of 4 Posts