Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me why it is recommended not to combine air shock with traction bars? My car came with air shocks... will I need to remove them in order to install Lakewood Traction Bars? If so why? :yes:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Probably because the suspension will be uncomfortably stiff, and when cornering, it's just like having sway bars that are too big, the car kind of skids around of the corner, instead of using the suspension.
Air shocks should help minor wheel hop, but they always leak, install better leafs if the rear droops with out them.
Avoid kyb when choosing rear shocks, unless your rear springs are worn or soft.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, now I understand. And, while researching what "kyb's" are I found a recomendation for Napa shocks under: Post -- Need New Rear Shocks for my 69 :beers:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A couple of comments: I bought the KYB's for all four corners for my '69. The ride is too stiff for my liking. I've had air shocks in other cars before. So long as you dont pump them up all the way, the ride was fine. I never had a problem with them leaking either. For typical street driving, I'd keep the air shocks and ditch the traction bars.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
My car came with the Factory traction bar, and air shocks. They do not leak out fast, but they do leak out after a couple of days. Depending on the amount of air you use it goes from Log Waggon to actually an ok ride. I am thinking about ditching the Air shocks during my rebuild, but I have not had any information about this yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts