Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 SS convertible. It and the only other SS convertible I have seen have air shocks. While the shocks on my car are not original the air pressure lines appear to have been installed as original equipment. I cannot, however, find any reference to air shocks being a factory or dealer option in 1968. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
While I'm not 110% sure, I don't think they were a factory option. Being on this board for 2 years now, I've never seen a discussion of factory air shocks on 68's. Sounds like maybe someone just did a clean install on the air lines.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
234 Posts
Remove the air shocks from your car.
These were the "in" thing back when we didn't know any better. I doubt they were factory installed options - usually driveway installed options to be able to blow up the back end of the car and stick really boss reverse wheels on the car and fat tires.

However, this causes two major problems because:
They stress the upper mounting point of the car, transfering force to the sheetmetal rather than letting the shock absorb it.
The shock fights movement, allowing your rear end to get bound up causing severe wheel hop problems.

So, you really should ditch them as quickly as you can.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Factory air shocks were available on mid-60's Novas, so it's not a big stretch to see them as OEM equipment on other GM cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts