Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
Has anyone ever deal with Al Knock interiors as far as a dash pad is concerned?? I was on their web site this morning and noticed they have a '68 dash pad available for $220. The run-of-the-mill OER pads that everyone else sells go for about $159. Anyone know if this is simply an overpriced OER pad or maybe something of a little better quality that's worth the extra money...
Unfortunately, I don't have an original to recover.
Thanks
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Dan,

Don't know about the Al Knoch dash pad but here's a thought. I'm pretty sure you could get a used pad pretty cheap. Especially if it's torn up. You could then send it to "Just Dashes" for refinishing and not have to bother with all this. Seems you've been "searching" for awhile now and doesn't look like the repops are what you're looking for. Just put an ad in the "Wanted" section and see what happens.

It may cost a bit more in the long run, but you'll probably be much happier with the results...

Ed

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Repops are a hit and miss proposition. The ones I have seen really don't have enough support to keep them straight. I got one from Carsinc.com and it fits really nice, but I have seen others that don't.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am in the same vote, for my 68 and just dashes wants 400$ + shipping both ways plus the core since they don't have any cores. Ricks has one for 289$ that is supposed to be show quality and supposedly my local parts guy can get a similar higher quality repo for 230$. I thought you or someone else was previously refering to a husband wife business called National camaro parts or something to that effect which made or sold a higher quality repro, what was there business name I know it is not the same as NPD. If you are willing, keep me updated since I will be getting a dash very soon and don't want to pay extra for low quality. The $230 version is supposed to be pressed conformed or something that is the same as the oringinal manufacturing process, where OER are molded. I might order it in, and post a report of the quality.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Railing:
Rick's no longer sells the upgraded dash pad. They only sell the one made by OER that everyone else sells as well. I called another Camaro repo place (can't remember the name now) that posted an "original quality" pad on their web site - not made by OER. I called them and they said they no longer sell it and as a matter of fact, it came from Rick's. Al Knoch Interiors is the only place that I have found that sells anything other than the OER pad. It lists for $220 on their web site. I ordered it and should be receiving it next week. I'll let you know how it is...
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'll look foreward to your report on the Al Knock pad. Now, if we could only find a good 68 repro. door panel....

·
Registered
467 Posts
I took a look at his website and he seems to be making those too, but only deluxe ones. He only mentiones '68 pads on his site, i got a '69 :( If the dashpad turns out to be real nice the doorpanels probably will be too.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All:
Rec'd the Al Knoch dash pad today. Unfortunetly, it's going back. The metal "dog leg" clips on the bottom that push into the dash are baisically screws. Not sure how you would ever get a nut on the other side, if in fact that is what they intended???? Also, there are no metal posts that screw down into the top of the dash!! I guess they just assume the pad will simply rest on the top of the dash??? Anyway, don't want to trash the company, just trying to give an honest review.
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Has anyone else looked at Al Knochs dash pad? Wondering if they improved them?
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts