Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an alignment done last fall when after a cruise to BC and back the outside edges were worn badly on my new Eagles and once finished there were lots of shims on drivers side(all the way out on bolts) so I thought that was odd so I pulled springs and they were not in correctly so I then installed Moroso trick springs and went for a new adjustment and ends up not quite as bad but still 5 thick shims on drivers side and none on pass. ? Anyone have any ideas or reccomendations as to why it's ending up like this ?
Thanks
TG:confused::beers:

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I don't care what the shim pack looks like if the numbers are right. Do you have any idea what the camber is set at? I've got 3/8 of an inch of shims in mine and the camber is at zero. In spite of the fact that my car took a hard it on the right side the packs are fairly even.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Is one side wearing worse than the other, Trev? Is it driving good otherwise after the second alignment? A good shop that can do these cars should have a list of specs and ask which one you want. Mine did. Also when they adjust for road crown they put a little more positive camber on the left side. Is it worn more than the right?

I can understand how the outside edges would wear with the springs in wrong as these cars already have very little negative camber adjustment (ability to tilt top of wheels inward). However, too much positive toe can also cause outside edge scuffing on the front tires.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's close to GW specs as I have their upper control arms:they ask for 6 and 6.5 degs and we could only get 5.1 and 5.3 degs,seems to steer good and did before too only now the ride height is way lower with the Moroso springs !

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
One side stacked up and the other not indicates a lazy wheel Alignment technition.
basically over several yrs of alignments they have been starting on 1 side and just keep adding and have no idea as to what shim size front back changes camber/caster
(See one of my old posts for those specs)

Outside indicates toe in or camber real screwed up...also misalignment between front and back wheels (crabbing) and that can be caused by loading one side excessivly

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I do my 68 at home with a Fastrax gauge and I can start on the right side or the left side,I always end up with more shims on the left side.Right now with the Guldstrand mod done and stock A arms I have it at 1/16 toe in,camber at 1/2 deg. neg. and caster at 5 1/2 right/5 left,it drives nice with no excessive tire wear.Had it checked at a shop after the first time I used the gauge and it was right on,the gauge matching the machine so I trust it now.I rough set camber,set caster,recheck camber(adjust if nec.),recheck caster(adjust if nec.),set toe and it doesn't take me hours to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts