Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone suggest good front end steering alignment settings for my car? It's a bone stock 67 Z28 with a set of NOS 7.35x15 bias ply redlines.

A local tire dealer pulled the following settings off his computer. They were the settings for "67-70 Z28". Seems a little general to me..

Caster degrees: Min -3/4 Best -1/4 Max 1/4
Camber degrees: Min 1/4 Best 3/4 Max 1 1/4
Toe in (in.): Min 1/8 Max 1/4
Toe in degrees: Min 1/4 Max 1/2
Steering axis inclination: 10-11 degrees

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Geez, I didn't think that question would stump everyone :D

I visited David's site and checked out the settings there. Not sure how they apply to my car, but how does this look for a street-driven car on narrow bias ply tires:

Caster: +1 deg.
Camber: -1 deg.
Toe-in: 1/8" to 1/4"

·
Registered
76 Posts
deejaygee, I've been doing alignments for 20 years and personally I would not set the camber to -1 degree if the suspension is stock. Especially with bias ply tires. You will eat the inside edge if you do. I'd set the camber to no more than 1/2 degree pos on the drivers side and about 1/4 pos on the pass side. This kinda makes up for the road crown. Caster needs to be toward the negative side with bias ply tires. Less caster helps with turning. I'd set it to 0 to 1 positive. Toe should be at 1/8" total, meaning a 1/16" in on each side. Alignment specs are pretty generic. You may have to play with the setting to get the best possible handling. I doubt the car is a daily driver, so tire wear may not be too much of an issue either. Hope this helps, Jeff

·
10,157 Posts
The specs on my page are for best handling.
What do you want to do with the car? It doesn't sound like you will be autocrossing it or hanging a lot of corners with it.
Does it have power steering?
Are the tires bias ply or radials?
David

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car will be street-driven, very little use for the first year, maybe 100 miles at most until I show it at Carlisle next Summer, mostly highway w/ some cruising. Tires are 15x7.35 bias-ply. No power steering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts