Team Camaro Tech banner
381 - 400 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
Go to harbor freight and get a bunch of spring clamps. It makes installing the molded headliner much easier.
I haven't quite finished my plan of attack on the headliner but I was thinking along those lines. Thanks for the
tip. It is quite flimsy. I expected a bit more rigidity. It sure has an unpleasant smell to it.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #391 ·
Thanks Kevin. The car was originally white/red and I wanted to stay
with it. I just like white and wanted the red stripe even though it
would have been black if original. Yep, the years have slipped by.
Working on getting the dash together now. Little things are slowing
me down a bit.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
Thanks Al, I appreciate all the pics and narrative on the headliner project. Looks nice ! Someday I may go this route as well. Aside from being a little easier and fool proof (me) installation than a conventional headliner, the main reason would be for a little more headroom. Do you have any idea how much is gained with the TMI headliner? Going by the dome light, seems like that area would be the same as stock since mounts the same way, right ? Would like to get a measurement to compare with my original headliner, but not sure where would be a good place to measure from since I have the console and seats already installed. Maybe need to wait until you get your seats installed.... It's gonna look sharp !:thumbsup:

hmm, thinkin' "outside the box", what about black carpet and console to go along with the black dash bezel ??:)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Garth, Thanks and I'm glad you appreciate the headliner write up. There were a few things I
was hoping to accomplish by going with the one piece headliner. I wanted a slightly updated
feel on the interior and knew I could install it myself. Another factor is my original bright pillar
covers are not in very good shape so I was intrigued by the TMI covers. They fall quite short
on shape and fit. It was disappointing the original bright headliner molding won't work with
this headliner. I ended up using the standard windlace and it looks just fine. We only have
one interior shop locally and they don't do "house calls". I figured doing the one piece would
be a wash or even better cost wise. Plus the hassles of transporting the car to the shop and
then waiting in line. I did consider going with black carpet but I am installing a factory console
keeping it black and I think it will look good against the red carpet and accent with the black
dash panel well. As far as increased head room others have said they gained an inch. I just
measured mine from the floor hump (no carpet) to just in front of the dome light and it's 35-1/2".

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
I noticed the bright headliner molding in one of your pics...and yeah, I was a bit disappointed too lol, but it looks good as you have it now. You did well on the pillar moldings too. The factory padded moldings from 68/9 are far from perfect in the same areas as your TMI pieces. I'm pretty sure the roof rail w/s and channel will conceal that pillar molding gap.

I had forgot the console in 67 was 2-tone for non-black interiors. In your case, red on the sides and black on top.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
Time for an update. Don't want you guys to think I've been slacking. Been spending
way too much time moving snow. We've had 41" since the 1st of January and expecting
5"-8" tonight/tomorrow and more coming this weekend. Geeze. Anyway here's some pics.
Door and quarter glass, fuzzies, weather strip, door panels (originals), cranks (originals),
package tray are all in. Arm rest pads (PUI) and basses are repops. Not impressed with
the pads and will probably change them out. The weather strip covered up my problem
with the pillar covers for the most part. Brakes completely done. Most recently I've been
assembling the engine. Hope like hell to have it ready this spring. Order parts, wait, move
snow, order more parts, wait, move more snow, etc

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...coming together VERY nicely. The Camaro is looking great. Seems like you got the shade of interior red paint dead on, ...looks pretty darn good against the door panels and back seat :)

381 - 400 of 440 Posts