Team Camaro Tech banner
401 - 420 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Progress !! This was a milestone for me. 16 years since the engine and transmission
has been in the car. The car was originally a 3 on the tree. I installed a 200-4r. Fit
like a glove. I used Bowtie Overdrives cross member. It also fit perfectly. I bought
a HF scissors style trans jack. It worked very well. I didn't want the hydraulic style
due to the possibility of it eventually going bad. My experience with cheap hydraulic
jacks isn't good. I also used an engine leveler for the first time in my life. I'll never
use anything else. Being able to tilt the engine was a life saver especially due to
working alone. I'm a happy camper right now.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
It's been quite a while since I posted an update. Fired up the engine a couple of weeks
ago. It took me a bit to get the new Holley carb adjusted but I pretty much have it tuned
until I can drive the car. New windshield and back window are going in next week. Then it
will be road worthy. It's tough finding installers here and they're really buried with work right
now. Cleaned and painted the rally wheels. Ordered tires that should be here Monday. Installed
the original grille and front bumper. I had to do some repairs on the grille and it turned out fine.
The bumper installed without any trouble at all. Set perfectly on the brackets with no adjustments
needed. I was kind of amazed.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
Windshield, back glass and all trim is installed. After watching these guys install the
glass I'm damn glad I didn't do it myself. Couldn't justify trying it for the $130 total
labor. The last pic shows the urethane applied to the glass prior to install. They made
this job look easy, as they should. Very pleased. BTW the doors aren't closed tight in
these pics.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
Heck of a deal on the glass ! Lookin' sharp, Al....just needs red pinstripes...:eek: lol

Looks like she's starting to settle down a bit. With a stock suspension towards the end of assembly, almost every added component makes a difference in the ride height.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Heck of a deal on the glass ! Lookin' sharp, Al....just needs red pinstripes...:eek: lol

Looks like she's starting to settle down a bit. With a stock suspension towards the end of assembly, almost every added component makes a difference in the ride height.
No red pinstripes !! LOL. (yet). Yes I got a good deal on the installation but even at twice the
price I wouldn't have flinched. I'm sure they made something on the glass. Charged me $160
and $150. That was about what I found online without shipping so no complaints. The guys
like old cars and enjoy seeing them come back to life. The springs have settled some and I
need to get a few shake downs miles on the car. I'm guessing I'll drop it some eventually.

·
Registered
679 Posts
That's really a great job Al!

Very impressive.:smile2:

Makes me want to go get the stripes around the nose of mine. :|

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
:hurray:...SWEET ! So how does it feel ? As good as she looks I imagine.:thumbsup: How much headroom ya got ?
Thanks Garth. How does it feel ? Relief. That's really the only way I can describe it. Measuring from the seat
bottom where it meets the seat back is 35" to the headliner. The seats are mounted to the floor board as was
factory. Not on top of the carpet/padding. I do not feel cramped in it but I'm only 5'6". It's more of ducking
enough to get in. I'm accustom to full size trucks and SUV's.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Wow, the car is stunning.

Great job. :wink2:

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
Thanks Garth. How does it feel ? Relief. That's really the only way I can describe it. Measuring from the seat
bottom where it meets the seat back is 35" to the headliner. The seats are mounted to the floor board as was
factory. Not on top of the carpet/padding. I do not feel cramped in it but I'm only 5'6". It's more of ducking
enough to get in. I'm accustom to full size trucks and SUV's.
Sorry, I don't mean to be a PITA, but what position is the seat in ? Either measure with the seat all the way forward or all the way back. I believe there's more clearance all the way back.

Exactly, driving a 50 year old, crude jalopy that sounds mean:D as compared to what we have nowadays:boring:....I'd expect at least maybe a feeling of youth and enjoyment ! I noticed the double hump heads, so surely there's enough there to raise the blood pressure if needed. lol

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Red interior looks awesome.

Don

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 ·
Sorry, I don't mean to be a PITA, but what position is the seat in ? Either measure with the seat all the way forward or all the way back. I believe there's more clearance all the way back.

Exactly, driving a 50 year old, crude jalopy that sounds mean:D as compared to what we have nowadays:boring:....I'd expect at least maybe a feeling of youth and enjoyment ! I noticed the double hump heads, so surely there's enough there to raise the blood pressure if needed. lol
That measurement is with the seat all the way back. The car puts a permanent smile on my face
every time I drive it and a Holly Sh!t look when I hammer it. Yes, it moves.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
That measurement is with the seat all the way back. The car puts a permanent smile on my face
every time I drive it and a Holly Sh!t look when I hammer it. Yes, it moves.
:D:yes:...thanks, will measure mine with original headliner/sport seats one of these days and report back...

Yep, outstanding job on the interior and the whole car for that matter. The red bumblebee really looks sharp !

401 - 420 of 440 Posts