Team Camaro Tech banner
421 - 440 of 440 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Oh I wish I were you. Maybe next year.

So, no vibrations, no horrible engine sounds? Good oil pressure, and water temp? No belts thrown? Transmission shifts smooth? Inquiring minds want to know.

I also like the red interior. So many people go with a black interior because that is the only color some reproduction parts are produced. All your different red interior parts look like a new 1967 Camaro off the showroom floor. They blend together nicely. The black seat belts are a nice contrast.

I added another 5 star rating to your build thread. You earned it.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
Oh I wish I were you. Maybe next year.

So, no vibrations, no horrible engine sounds? Good oil pressure, and water temp? No belts thrown? Transmission shifts smooth? Inquiring minds want to know.

I also like the red interior. So many people go with a black interior because that is the only color some reproduction parts are produced. All your different red interior parts look like a new 1967 Camaro off the showroom floor. They blend together nicely. The black seat belts are a nice contrast.

Thank you Patrick. No issues so far. All the way through the build I tried to remain patient and kept
reminding myself "I'm my own quality control". I purposely stayed with factory type mechanical
equipment for reliability reasons. I really like the red interior also with some black accents. The console
would have been red on the sides with a black top to be factory correct. I'm glad I went full black with it.
I'm debating now on a direction for floor mats. Full red, full black, red w/black edging, black w/red edging,
script (what script) or not?

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Here Here!

Thank you Patrick. No issues so far. All the way through the build I tried to remain patient and kept
reminding myself "I'm my own quality control". I purposely stayed with factory type mechanical
equipment for reliability reasons. I really like the red interior also with some black accents. The console
would have been red on the sides with a black top to be factory correct. I'm glad I went full black with it.
I'm debating now on a direction for floor mats. Full red, full black, red w/black edging, black w/red edging,
script (what script) or not?
Decisions decisions! I'm beyond thrilled for you Al. And she sounds perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I’d vote black mats, it would tie together with the consol.
Red would look good too.
I think red and black mats would be too busy looking.
Go solid red or black.

Car looks great.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
I’d vote black mats, it would tie together with the consol.
Red would look good too.
I think red and black mats would be too busy looking.
Go solid red or black.

Car looks great.
Thanks Darin.
See, it's not quite that easy of a decision is it? I'm laughing as I write this.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
That measurement is with the seat all the way back. The car puts a permanent smile on my face
every time I drive it and a Holly Sh!t look when I hammer it. Yes, it moves.
...Measuring from the seat
bottom where it meets the seat back is 35" to the headliner. The seats are mounted to the floor board as was
factory. Not on top of the carpet/padding....
:D:yes:...thanks, will measure mine with original headliner/sport seats one of these days and report back...
Better late than never, right !? I finally got a measurement. 35" exactly with the seat all the way back, stock headliner and TMI Sport Seats. Dunno where folks are coming up with increased headroom using a TMI headliner ??

EDIT: DOH ! I forgot I cut 3/4" off the legs of my seats ! LOL :clonk::eek: So it would appear the TMI headliner does indeed offer a little more (3/4") clearance. Sorry about that...

Thanks again, Al. Any pics with caps and trim rings installed ?:)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
Garth, I found a set of NOS rings with the prongs although they are narrow (1-3/4"). I needed
something so I bought them. I actually like the look and honestly most people would never know
the difference. I may change them if Wheel Vintiques ever gets them back in stock as they seem
to be the only supplier with the proper prongs. In my thread on trim rings I posted about the crap
Rick's sent. I don't trust them at all. Here's a few pics from a local show and shine. I met another
TC member (Kent) at the show. Sorry I don't know his user name here. I received a lot of nice
compliments and invites to other shows. These pics were taken early. 30 mins later the place was
packed.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
Very nice ! Take extra special care of those trim rings as I think they're correct for 67-8 Z/28 (15x6). And if you got boxes, save them !;)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Thought I'd give an update now that the cruise and show season is pretty much done here for the year.
I put a bit over 2,000 miles on the car with a big smile on my face. I had problems with the reman Holley
carb and ended up purchasing a new Edelbrock AVS2 with the annular boosters. Very nice carb. Tuning
it is not difficult as I learned on Quadrajets and the AVS to me is similar. I really think I just had a trashed
Holley to start with and unfortunately didn't realize it until the warranty had expired or I would have returned
it. Other than that I really didn't experience any serious problems. Engine and trans work well. Replaced the
trans pan gasket due to a leak and worked on the ignition tuning. Nothing out of the ordinary. I do have to
adjust the drive line angle but that's not to big of a deal. Contemplated how to make the car's visual appeal
pop some and ended up adding my version of pinstripes (Garth ?? lol). I may drop the suspension a bit yet.
The springs settled very little. I used the 3 leaf rear springs and don't like the ride. Here's some current pics.
I have to get the plates replaced!! The DOT sent new plates this year. How did I end up with 396??

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
I like the stripes, Al ! Your taste is similar to mine by adding your own personal touch, but not straying too far from factory appearance. :thumbsup:

Dislike the 3 leaf springs- I presume it's too firm ? What type of shocks are you using ?

I still wouldn't do anything drastic as far as the ride height goes. Keep a-arm and shackle bolts loose. Every once in a while when you walk by, give it a bounce (push down on the bumpers). I betcha it'll settle about 1/2" by next summer... :)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
I like the stripes, Al ! Your taste is similar to mine by adding your own personal touch, but not straying too far from factory appearance. :thumbsup:

Dislike the 3 leaf springs- I presume it's too firm ? What type of shocks are you using ?

I still wouldn't do anything drastic as far as the ride height goes. Keep a-arm and shackle bolts loose. Every once in a while when you walk by, give it a bounce (push down on the bumpers). I betcha it'll settle about 1/2" by next summer... :)
Thanks for the thumbs up on the stripes Garth. Yes, the 3 leafs are too stiff. Shackles are a bit loose.
It's all I can do to even bounce it. I'm running the KYB stock cheap non adjustable shocks all around.
The front is fine. The back not so much. If Gabriel still made their old 3 setting adjustables or even the
Red Ryders I would have them on there. I contacted Gabriel and they were of no help. A lot of the roads
here are pretty damn rough and I'm tired of the banging in the rear. I don't autocross and just want a
smoother ride. I'm looking into shocks now. We'll see on the settling but I truly have my doubts.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
If they're KYB Excel-G's, NOT Gas-A-Just, I don't think shocks are the problem. I currently have Excel-G and can get a couple inches (guessing) of deflection by pushing on the bumper fairly easy.

These cars are so light in the a$$ end, leaf springs wasn't really the best design, imo. I guess for us old farts who want to cruise in comfort need to stick with mono-leaf. FWIW, I have 5 leaf from a 74 Nova. I ended up removing the bottom leaf which lowered the ride height 1". I know some folks say it's not a good idea removing a leaf, but I haven't had any problems...

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
Garth, They are the Excel-G's. I just finished a road test after adjusting the drive line angle
using shims on the rear end. The damn thing actually rides a bit softer in the rear. Sure didn't
expect that. The shims wouldn't have changed the ride but I'm thinking something was slightly
bound up, particularly on the right side. It always seemed to hit the hardest. My memory is getting
jog'd now and I think I recall a few instances from my suspension career where the binding straps
were too tight causing a similar issue. I'll be doing some playing. I can't get more than 1" movement
bouncing it. Back in the day I added and also removed a spring or two from a number of vehicles with
no ill effect. I checked the shocks and they are damn stiff (no binding). Monroe makes a rear shock
specifically for Camaros and Firebirds only. The other brands use the same shock for a bunch of applications
including heavy cars like Olds Toronado, Cadillac Eldorado, Ford Crown Vic etc. so I may try the Monroe's.
They're cheap. I certainly agree with the old fart statement. Took me 3 hrs to do the shims. Used to
do it in 1 hr tops 45 yrs ago.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,943 Posts
I mentioned 2'' deflection on mine, just a WAG. It's much softer than with the gas-a-just, which was hard to detect any movement at all.

I've never heard of adjusting the driveline angle with shims at the rear end. So you put shims in-between the leaf spring and axle perch ? Did the factory (GM) do this as well ?

I've seen leaf springs so rusty inside, surely they would bind up and not work properly. Not saying yours could be as you probably bought them new. Seems I've heard of other complaints here at TC regarding some 3 leaf springs. Maybe try a search or start another thread ...

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #438 ·
Very common to use tapered shims to adjust drive line angle at the pinion. Yes, the shims
are placed between the spring and perch. GM designed the drive line so no shimming
would/should be needed. With the different trans, cross member and springs it was
necessary on my car. Wasn't out real bad but enough I could feel a vibration at ~60 mph.
Seems good now. Springs are new so no rust. I've read numerous posts on the pro's and
con's of the 3 leaf springs and shocks. Over the decades now shocks have changed a lot.
Possibly leaving our out dated suspension in the dust. When I get it figured out I'll post my results.
Edit: added more info.

·
Registered
68 Camaro RS SS 454 BB Automatic with 373 gears
63 Posts
Thought I'd give an update now that the cruise and show season is pretty much done here for the year.
I put a bit over 2,000 miles on the car with a big smile on my face. I had problems with the reman Holley
carb and ended up purchasing a new Edelbrock AVS2 with the annular boosters. Very nice carb. Tuning
it is not difficult as I learned on Quadrajets and the AVS to me is similar. I really think I just had a trashed
Holley to start with and unfortunately didn't realize it until the warranty had expired or I would have returned
it. Other than that I really didn't experience any serious problems. Engine and trans work well. Replaced the
trans pan gasket due to a leak and worked on the ignition tuning. Nothing out of the ordinary. I do have to
adjust the drive line angle but that's not to big of a deal. Contemplated how to make the car's visual appeal
pop some and ended up adding my version of pinstripes (Garth ?? lol). I may drop the suspension a bit yet.
The springs settled very little. I used the 3 leaf rear springs and don't like the ride. Here's some current pics.
I have to get the plates replaced!! The DOT sent new plates this year. How did I end up with 396??

Love the finished product you have and applaud all your hard work from start to finish 👍 Did you paint it yourself? Not stalking just curious? Wish I would have detailed my car like you did but mine was a 28 year job and still doesn't look as good 👏👏👏

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Love the finished product you have and applaud all your hard work from start to finish 👍 Did you paint it yourself? Not stalking just curious? Wish I would have detailed my car like you did but mine was a 28 year job and still doesn't look as good 👏👏👏
Thanks Sherry. The only thing I didn't do was paint. It went to my painter only needing a final block sanding and sprayed. I've been pleased with the outcome.

421 - 440 of 440 Posts