Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
This event will happen when ignition switch is set to ACC or IGN, without engine running.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Yup, that's perfectly normal!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The light should be on with the key in the "on" position and the engine not running.

It isn't generating any current, so the light will be on until you start the engine and begin to generate current using the alternator. It is sort of a check to see if the warning lights are working.

The oil pressure light works the same way. It should be on too with the key in the "on" position and the engine not running. It will go out once the oil pressure builds up.

-Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i agree when its in the ON position .
but im talking about accesory position.
positions are accesory, off, on, start.
ya know rotate the key towards you to power the radio and other accesories.
with it in the on position yu got juice going to the ignition circuit.
in strart the ignition circuit and starter come into play.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
GM did something a bit strange on the first gen electrical systems. The IGN and ACC circuits are shorted together with a resistance wire. I think this was to keep the charging system operational if the GEN bulb burned out. But this is why the light illuminates dimly in the ACC position. The resistance wire is brown with a white stripe. It is connected to ignition switch and fuse block (if I recall). The wire is about 4 feet long and taped to the harness, so it runs down the harness, doubles back and reconnects. Very strange.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts