Team Camaro Tech banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and searched extensively re: this issue and most everything I find speaks to picking up leg room but what I need is head room...actually, it feels as if my @ss is about 3" too high which makes the car seem that it has tons of body roll but it doesn't. I just simply sit too darn high.

I already have seat extenders installed which helped marginally with leg room but after all of the suspension and wheel/tire work I've done I want to DRIVE this thing and I feel as if I'm sitting on a milk crate - up way too high. I've got TMI Sport Seats foams and I love them but I need to drop the seat substantially to really use the car as I've built it.

Has anyone done major mods to the frames to drop the seat? Am I forced to make the seat non-adjustable to really pick up a good 2-3"? How about aftermarket tracks? Any luck?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

·
Registered
519 Posts
From my experience, you cant gain as much as you want (2-3") by modifying the seat tracks. There just isnt that much material there to cut out. Also, if you go much over 1", your run into seat/floor clearance issues...
Just fought this battle... and lost....

Good luck

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The only way to drop the seat vertically would be to cut out the seat platform and fab up something lower in it's place. Even then, you're only likely to gain an inch or so, since the platform is only about 2" high, and you'll want to put something like 1"x1" tube in its place to tie the trans tunnel to the rocker (which the seat platform helps to do), and to give you something to mount the seats to other than the sheetmetal floorpan.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
The only way to drop the seat vertically would be to cut out the seat platform and fab up something lower in it's place. Even then, you're only likely to gain an inch or so, since the platform is only about 2" high, and you'll want to put something like 1"x1" tube in its place to tie the trans tunnel to the rocker (which the seat platform helps to do), and to give you something to mount the seats to other than the sheetmetal floorpan.
Has anyone tried notching out the platform rails and making the seat sit lower that way? Just a thought...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been working with KV67SSRS and our Sport Seats.

I just went out in the warehouse and took measurements of all versions of the seat foam. The measurement was taken in the middle front part of the foam.

Stock: 2" Thick
Sport: 2.5" Thick
Sport II/R: 1 5/8" Thick

So it does look like the sport foam is 1/2" thicker than the stock replacement. The foam is slightly denser than original, its hard to tell with the bare hand.

You can see in this picture here how that middle section is basically the same exact height:

Not sure how to word this one but this was one thought we had as well. I'm going to make up some numbers here. The stock seat is lets say 24" wide. We added bolsters which now makes the seating part of the seat 18" wide. So if your butt/legs are wider than 18" wide then you would be sitting on top of the bolsters as opposed in between them. Again, not sure if this is the case, but I'd love to hear if this might be the case.

To recap: I'm not sure why people are having any issues with seat height using our Sport Seats. According to my measurement we added .5" to the height, not 2-3". If anybody has any other ideas or things I can test on my end, please let me know!

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts
Well, I've said it all along...Sport Seats are much firmer. I believe it's mainly due to the internal wire in the foam....that, and those 2 bottom springs in the original seat are usually broke. Fix the springs and add Sport Seats and you don't sink into the seat like before.

I'm not complaining. I've got a couple inches of headroom and like the look and feel. I still may modify the tracks though as that extra inch would be nice for taller folks.

One other thought comes to mind ; I wonder if folks get the foams installed properly....get the foam listing wire hog-ringed to the corresponding wire in the factory (GM) springs ? That was the most difficult part for me, but it sure helped suck the foam down into the springs.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim/TMI -

Thanks for jumping in and thanks again for the replacement houndstooth button you sent me recently. I do think that this is an issue that has several compounding aspects that in totality, are causing the problem. That said, it is a suck-*** experience for the consumer. I've had several folks comment on how great the seats look and ask if I recommend them. I always say 'yes' but with the caveat being this ride height experience. I do think this has resulted in a least a couple of 'I'll go another direction then' comments which is unfortunate for TMI.

I am contemplating another potential fix, albeit a hokey one: perhaps taking some mechanics wire and looping around some of the internal seat springs and 'helping' them pull downward to relieve some of the firmness out of the system and allow my body weight to further compress the seat/cushion. Thoughts from anyone on whether this may work?

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Guy's, I have the seat extenders and have sport seats also. I gained another 1" by moving the seat track back to the edge of the extender, redrilling and fastening. Fasten the front track hold down where ever they landed. I also slotted the extender at the side gussets, to follow the floor curve a little better. Working for me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
...despite implications otherwise... I have a nice, tight buttocks that fits nicely between the TMI Sport Seat gussets.... So that that can be crossed off of the list of possible reasons....
:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tim/TMI -

Thanks for jumping in and thanks again for the replacement houndstooth button you sent me recently. I do think that this is an issue that has several compounding aspects that in totality, are causing the problem. That said, it is a suck-*** experience for the consumer. I've had several folks comment on how great the seats look and ask if I recommend them. I always say 'yes' but with the caveat being this ride height experience. I do think this has resulted in a least a couple of 'I'll go another direction then' comments which is unfortunate for TMI.

I am contemplating another potential fix, albeit a hokey one: perhaps taking some mechanics wire and looping around some of the internal seat springs and 'helping' them pull downward to relieve some of the firmness out of the system and allow my body weight to further compress the seat/cushion. Thoughts from anyone on whether this may work?

I've been working on this a lot. All my research is pointing to the replacement springs.
I have an original spring/frames sitting here and I was looking at those and how they could be easily modified. What I'm going to do is buy a replacement set of frames/springs from the manufacture and start testing. We have a high-tech machine here that we use to quality check our foams. Basically its puts a measured amount of force on the foam and measures how much the foam compresses. I'm going to use this machine to put 200LBS on the seats and see how much they compress. I'll be able to do this with my OEM frame along with the replacement frames.

From there I can determine exactly how much tension needs to be taken out to give these replacements the factory feel. I have a few different ways I can modify them without it being "mickey moused." The one idea that popped in my head right away was that the fronts have 5 springs holding it up; I was thinking cutting out two of those springs might relieve enough tension to properly work.

I'm going to order up these frames today, and start working on this project. I will definitely take pictures and post my findings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...despite implications otherwise... I have a nice, tight buttocks that fits nicely between the TMI Sport Seat gussets.... So that that can be crossed off of the list of possible reasons....
:)
I too, have nice tight, firm buttocks...whoa...this just got weird...

Haha that did get a little weird. But I'm glad you chimed in so I know this isn't a possibility.

I'll be sure to note though that if we ever start selling tight pants I can call on you two for models. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thx Tim. I hope you have some luck tweaking the springs but I can say that in my case, I reused my original 44-year old springs so those are not contributing to my height/firmness issue with the seats...

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Haha that did get a little weird. But I'm glad you chimed in so I know this isn't a possibility.

I'll be sure to note though that if we ever start selling tight pants I can call on you two for models. :D:D:D
For a minute here, I thought I visited the wrong site.:D

Learning lots from this thread (about seat height!):p I am 6'3" and will need all the room I can get, short of installing T-tops in the roof...

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thx Tim. I hope you have some luck tweaking the springs but I can say that in my case, I reused my original 44-year old springs so those are not contributing to my height/firmness issue with the seats...

Nick
I have a couple of factory Camaro seats here as well that I'll be testing.

I'll keep everybody in the loop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.