Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 coupe and was wondering which side the upper alternater bracket bolts to? When I took mine off the alternater was in front of the bracket. I have seen many with the alternater behind the bracket. Which is correct?

Murph

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alternater on mine was in front of the bracket with the bolt going in from behind. I was looking though my resto books and saw them both ways. Alternater behind bracket and bolt going in from the front and alternater in front of bracket bolt going in from behind (mine).

I was just curious what was the reason I see them both ways?

Murph

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
In a quest to have your belt line up properly I recomend which ever side allows for the best alignment. In the intrest of correctness, what restoration books do you have? I would give the most credibility to the '68 factory assembly instruction manual (AIM) and second would be the '68 chassis service manual (CSM). The CSM covers repairs on all Chevy models for that year so be careful selecting the Camaro info. Most other books draw off these two and I've found lots wrong in the ones I have...

Sorry I don't have a direct answer, it may be as simple as one way is AC the other isn't... the AIM should get you going...

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
I agree with DjD there. Look up the correct placement in the AIM.
I found a date correct Alt for my car, had it rebuilt and when I installed it the alignment of the belt was obviously not straight which would wear the belt quickly and/or throw it under high speed. I ended up with a few washers shimming mine to get it exact as I could for safety reason. When it comes to driving it, that comes first and the AIM second. If in points show, you could switch it to the 'correct' way, then switch back to drive.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't even think about it until I saw some pictures in the camaro restoration guide books I have. I saw the different mountings and wondered why. I do have both the AIM and the CSM and had not looked in either of them for that information yet. I use them fairly religiously. I will be putting mine back on the same way it was before I changed the water pump. I'll check belt alignment just to be sure.

Murph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts