Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my version of a modern dash for a first gen Camaro. Now I realize that there are a lot of die hard "must restore to original" Camaro guys out there but just try and be open minded and realize the benefits of such an upgrade. This has all the modern controls with tilt column, cruise control, wipers/intermittent wipers and windshield washer plus you can see the gauges now!

I'm not looking for your approval or disapproval, I'm just showing you my version of a daily driver that has the awesome looks of a first gen with the drivability and comforts of a late model vehicle.

If you want to find out more about the car go to http://www.1967camarors.net

Lee

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I like the idea as long as the rest of the car has been updated. I think the dash would look more at home with a less contrasting color such as dark grey or black. Can your knees clear the bulge on the steering column? Looks a little low for adequate clearance to me.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
What did you get that dash cluster out of?

I'm also considering the possibility of hackin' up my dash... for sort of a modern feel... but my goal is "modern feel with throwback to vintage trans am."

Still don't know if I can bring myself to cut up the dash though. Maybe I'll end up just going with a Covan's 6 guage dash insert...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
looks to be out of a truck of some sort. looks good, but i agree that a darker color around the dash would have made it "fit in" a little better. hope you didn't hook up that airbag...

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Could that be done with a dash insert, like the 67 and 68's have? It's hard to tell how large it is. If you could make a bolt it like that it would be pretty cool. I don't like the yellow dash or the steering wheel, but that's just my opinion. What are these parts out of?

Joe

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thats a silverado dash. I like the way it looks but I really think that color has to go. Now that you have the truck dash in there you can add one of those cool white faced, blue/green gauge faces.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone...

The gauges along with the 454 and 4L80E is out of a 95 GMC pickup. I used the entire engine bay and under dash wiring harness too. My goal is to build a modern day Camaro that starts, runs and drives reliably but yet has the cool looks of the Camaro. This will be a daily driver, a go anywhere and anytime vehicle. With the 454 it will have some go power but will not be a drag strip monster. With ~500 pounds of torque and 3.08 gears along with the overdrive it will get great fuel economy and will fly on the freeways.

I painted the dash because in my opinion it lightens up and gives the illusion the interior is larger. Also, there is no air bag but that would of been cool! There is no clearance issue with the steering column, in fact it has a little bit more then stock because I brought it up at more of an angle then used the tilt to get it in the right position. I think that once the interior is finished and the rest of the car is done the dash will be less noticable. I'm painting it HOK Kandy Yellow with black vinyl top, black nose stripe and the SS hood.

Lee

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lee that car is going to be awesome. I've always wanted to do something similar, but I don't have the facilities (small garage) or funds.

Keep up the good work!

-Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts