Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this topic and reviewed the results but I still am not sure what the easy answer is.

I'm installing a 67 327 with hump heads and I need to know how to mount my alternator and power steering pump. The heads have no accessory holes. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Bracket manufacturer and part numbers would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not concerned with looking stock. I just need an alternator and power steering pump mounted on my engine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not decided between headers or manifolds yet. Which alt. bracket are most people using with hump heads w/ no holes? Which Alan Grove bracket are ya'll using? No a/c car.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Accessory holes in the heads did not come about until 1969. This was also the first year of the long style water pump. If you keep everything stock on your 1967, it is all stock parts for a '67 with the "short" water pump. Many parts houses can set you up with what you need.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm currently running the short pump. Would it be beneficial to consider running the long pump? I have billet crank and waterpump pulleys. I was going to use the p/s pump from my current 350 which already has a stock pulley on it.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Stay with the short water pump. 67 and 68 cars had the short water pump, which puts your alternator on the driver's side. If you switched to a long pump that would put the alternator on the passenger side. All pulleys and accessory brackets would have to be changed ! All of the pulleys and accessory brackets are either for a short water pump or a long water pump. You can not mix them ! There really is no advantage to a long water pump.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
No, I believe they use bolt holes in the heads and that is switching sides, on your engine, which means new wiring !

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone post up the proper brackets that I need for both alt and p/s? From the pictures I have seen, it appears that the factory alternator bracket had a bolt in the intake manifold. My aftermarket aluminum intake does not have this bolt hole. Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their alt and p/s on a 327 without accessory holes in the heads? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
On my 68 pj I have a bracket that bolts to the waterpump,long slot at the top slight curve to it,and a bracket that bolts to exhaust manifold like in the second pic by melrose.The alternator bracket on the waterpump comes in chrome as well as black,I have sen them at advanced and autozone.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, I got tired of thinking about this so much so I called Alan Grove. I spoke with Greg who pointed me at the 213L bracket for the alternator and the 400L for the P/S pump. Order is placed and ships tomorrow. I feel pretty good about it as everyone has had good things to say about Alan Grove brackets. Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I assume your after the more compact 70 Pulley System rather then the 67.68 System.

What I've done in the past is Drill and Tap an Alternator Mounting Hole into the Head Casting (never had one crack). Alternatives are to use the 69 Exhaust Manifold with the appropriate Bracket or if using the older Ram Horns or Headers Fab a bracket that mounts to the Exhaust Bolts - GM actually made this bracket but it's very scarce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts