Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My 69 350 alternator pulley has some up and down play, maybe 1/16" or less. I don't think there should be that much in the front bearing. Am I wrong? Is it worn out? Is the bearing replacable or will I need to get new alternator. It's only a 37 Amp, and likely is not original, it has the number 80 magic markered on it, so I'm guessing it might have been off a 1980 motor??
Thanks
RJ

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This alternator has #1100834 stamped on it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the ORIGINAL alternator does it? or does it?
thanks
rj

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
there should be a stamp, numbers and letters, that will include the current rating "37A" and will also have a date code as part of it.

You can buy the beqaring from Napa. It's easy to change.

·
Read Only
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I t has 8L 2 12Volt Neg in addition to the part # stamping. I didn't know what the 8L 2 meant.
rj

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
The alternator on my sailboat staged a work stoppage much the same way. Turned out the housing became egg shaped causing the bearing to be loose and cockeyed. The first fix attempt, (remember, I'm on the Pacific Ocean) was with epoxy engine block repair. Lasted a week. Then I jammed some razor blades into the worn housing so as to force the bearing and shaft to the correct spot. The epoxy then held the whole mess together. On sailboats, we can be really hard on alternators. Everybody has a story. Here's my rectifier. It's in the wood box. The fan that cools it is hidden at the rear. That's a 3 stage voltage regulator to the left. And to the left of that is a fan speed control switch. I'll save the pictures of the alternator changes, or the computer monitoring system, or the battery bank. You don't wanna know.
P.S. The alternator started life nearly 20 years ago as a GM product for a Buick. I bought it new. It's been rebuilt so many times that I lost count. Wanna hear my story about it seizing and burning the belt (no spare) at 4am pulling into Trinidad. Engine not able to run. Boat can't be sailed because there's little wind in the doldrums and I'm all alone and have to motor through a 100 foot wide passage for a half mile with 300ft sheer cliffs on either side? Alternators:mad: Yep, I died. Boat's still adrift.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
RJ, I've been editing since your post. You beat me to it.:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts