Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told to stay away from stock Alternators (50-60 amps) because I might add things later. I was advised a one-wire system, poss a GM 105 amp. Also my understanding is the hvy gauge red wire goes from ALT to Batt. That is it. Disconnect the volt regulator. Get rid of regulator wires. Only thing I would miss is the idiot light but I can always add a volt gauge later. I would appreciate any corrections. Also any good advise on where to buy and what model would help.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There's a bunch of info at MAD Electrical on these topics. See: http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml. Basically, he only sees one advantage to a one wire alternator: ease of installation. There is also info on which alternator to upgrade to.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
I agree with Bry there, MAD elec. is a super sharp guy that knows his stuff. If you are going to use HUGE amperage stereo and other stuff, maybe there are other alt's that can work, but for mostly stock use, read that link and Id recommend the headlight relay kit is a MUST for all older cars with older wires.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Originally posted by Edsz28:
...the hvy gauge red wire goes from ALT to Batt. That is it. Disconnect the volt regulator. Get rid of regulator wires.
Give it a try and let us know how it works, it can't hurt anything so long as the red and ground don't touch.

I installed the CS-130 alternator myself and I think there is nothin better unless you're peticular about being 'factory correct'.

Idle speed output is one of the most significant benefits. Improved voltage regulation is equally beneficial. The old buzzer regulators worked great provided they didn't have to respond to transients. If you run an Mallory or MSD ignition components, they'll thank you by running longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts