Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Camaro with a left hand mounted alternator and I want to adapt to a right hand style. I have the top adjuster bracket and the lower bracket that mounts on the water pump. I currently have the short water pump with power steering. I have a long pump to replace the short one , what I need to know is what pulleys do I need to make it work being that the long pump is about 2 inches longer from the mounting flange to the end of the shaft where the pulley bolts on. Also the fan I am using is a 6 blade direct driven with a 2 inch spacer and I think with the longer pump I would not have clearance for my electric fan ? If you can tell me what car to obtain the necessary parts from that would be great. Will it be necessary to replace my power steering pump to ? thanks Garry

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
First of all "good luck" from someone who has done this type of swap before. You will have to change all your brackets etc. The easiest thing to do is to find a complete 70's or early 80's, any model Chevrolet and take ALL PARTS and install on your Camaro. I assume your Camaro has newer heads on the motor otherwise you don't have the accessory holes in your stock '68 heads and the swap won't work. I'm not sure what you are trying to say about your fan, but the easiest way to get your stock fan to work, is to cut the spacer on a bandsaw and use shorter bolts.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why are you swapping to the right side. I upgraded my alternator to a new 96 amp one and left it on the left side. GM makes a bracket which will allow you to mount an alternator on the left side without using the exhaust manifold or header bolts to mount the alternator for a short water pump. You do have to have accessory holes on the heads though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can tell you what I did but, it may be different on your car. I don't have power steering or air conditioning.

I used an aluminum Edelbrock long pump, the two-groove upper pully, three-groove lower pully, and fan spacer off a later model 350 (75' I think). The brackets I got from Alan Grove. They are the mid mount, passenger side brackets for heads that aren't tapped. I had to trim a little to fit the Edelbrock pump. Everything lines up perfectly. The fan sits slightly farther forward in the shroud - closer to the rad - but there hasn't been any diference in temps.

Hope that helps you.
Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts