Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mounting brackets should I use to mount the alternator on a 68RS 327/275 with PS & PB and headers? I'd like it to look as close to original as possible, even with the headers.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If you have original 68 heads that do not have the tapped accesory holes in the front, you can either use the bent steel brackets the give you with the headers, or go to an aftermarket bracket that hangs from the water pump bolts.

The header brackets are flimsy. You'll be replacing them every few years, and might have trouble with flexing and belt throwing. They are cheap tho, and mount the alt in the stock location, and don't look "unstock"

The other option is an aftermarket bracket. Allen Groves and possibly March make bracketry for frivers side, no hole head, short water pump systems. These are good stuff, but not too stock looking and kinda pricy.

If you have later model heads that have the holes in the front, I HIGHLY recommend a C3 corvette bracket. These were on all small block vette's from 68 to 82, there are 2 versions, earlier ones are cast iron (paint it orange and you'll never know it's there) later are alluminum.
Here's a pic of my alluminum vette bracket, which I polished.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Just got a set of Hooker Supercomps and the alt mounting bracket that came with them to mount on the Drivers side is definately primo... high quality and looks to be made from 1/4 or 5/16 plate steel... got the headers from Jet Hot and the bracket is also coated...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Just got a set of Hooker Supercomps and the alt mounting bracket that came with them to mount on the Drivers side is definately primo... high quality and looks to be made from 1/4 or 5/16 plate steel... got the headers from Jet Hot and the bracket is also coated...
lol... just wait. I broke 2 of those per season while I was using them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts