Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 with an inline 6 w/o power steering. I've finally aquired all the parts and was starting the swap. I need to change my stock single pulley to the double pulley. As I was going to pull it apart, it appears that the cooling fan is part of the pulley and if I were to pull it, I'd lose the fan with it?
I've attached pics for you to see. If I have to change the alternator I would not be upset. This one works fine for what she is now, but I'm thinking of doing some upgrades in the future such as electric cooling fans. So if I have to upgrade now I will, was thinking of a 12si or a 10si.
Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Not really up on my L6 stuff but on the V8 I believe all you do is add on the additional crank pulley for power steering. Then the belt only goes around the new crank pulley and power steering pulley.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
It sure looks like the fan is part of the pulley - not familiar with 6 banger stuff. The V8 10DN alt had a separate fan behind the pulley. I'm guessing yours is not orig, but double check.

10si or 12si is a great swap - either will bolt into the stock location. A minor wiring change is all that's needed. I swapped from a 61A 10DN to a 63A 10si - simple. If you have big power loads planned go with a 12si, and be prepared to upgrade the wiring when you add the big amp draws.

In general, most people here who report cooling problems have some sort of electric fan setup, so I don't necessarily consider that to be an upgrade.

·
19,904 Posts
I agree.....scrape at where the two meet....I think it's just gunk built up.

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts
Fan/pulley looks one piece, could be an earlier year 10DN, started in 1962.
Internal alt swapout is easy, as said.

As suggested, power steering belt system is an add-on crank pulley and the pump itself, function specific belt.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies so far guys. The way the belts are ran for the 6 are like this: the belt nearest the block goes around the crank, alternator and PS pump, and the belt closest to the radiator goes around the crank, alternator and water pump.
Its definitely a 1 piece design what I have on there now. If I just add the double pulley, I'd have 3 grooves and dont even think I'd be able to tighten it down.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
69 and 70 V8's (and maybe 6's) had a separate fan and solid pulley. You could just change to the later parts.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
For and upgraded alternator, it sounds like you might be heading toward the 10SI as it supports the same fan and pulley as the DN series.

Your balancer looks like it might be integrated with the crank pulley, so getting that second crank pulley might be an adventure.

Nice sway bar.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good eye Michael!

Now that I look at it, that sway bar does stick out a bit! I just got done doing the Hotchkis TVS kit on the car.

I have a single groove pulley that mounts to the balancer with the integrated groove. I have the whole set up ready to go except the alternator is holding me back. I bought the whole PS set up from a board member that took it off of his 6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts