Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just hooked up new chrome alternator. Was told it was one wire so just hook red line to battery terminal on back. And don't need to hook up black or white (plug was different type anyway). Started car now gen light stays on and lights flicker as engine revs.
Any ideas

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds like you had a 3 wire with external regulator. Many threads on this subject on this site. As far as I know if you chose to stay with a 1 wire you will not get a gen light option.

One thing you told us was to run the one wire direct to the battery. I would check your standard wiring and you may find that you have a junction block that the one wire should go to not the battery. On my 67 the block is between the battery and the rad support.

The light problem you have might be because all the current is going through the 14ga fuse link from the battery + to the junction block that your head lights are wired to.

Keep in mind that I do not have a68 wiring diagram and I might be wrong.

Do a search on here for 1 wire alt vs 3 wire alt. also check the MAD website for this subject.

Good luck John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think I should connect the other two wires? I need to find out how to get the plug changed to fit this one as current does not fit

·
Registered
276 Posts
Be careful! Not all alternators can be converted to a 3 wire. Your one wire has a built in regulator. If you intend to use a 3 wire wiring I think you would need to remove the internal reg but I am not sure. Find Everett on this site and have him comment on this.
John

·
Registered
273 Posts
In particular situations you remove the external Voltage Regulator then you have to shunt the old harness across its self.
X2. I did the 1-wire on mine and bypassed the external regulator. Found a schematic online. The 2-wire connector on the alternator you can get the proper plug at places like Napa and Autozone and splice it in.. I used original harness connction on the output of the alternator. Runs around 13.4V at idle and 13.8-14V when driving. Never had any issues in two years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts