Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to know if its better to switch over to an internal regulated alt like a 10 or 12 delco SI or keep the orig. setup with the external regulator? 1969 z with a 383.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really a problem , just looking to see if the upgrade was worth the time an and money

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not really a problem , just looking to see if the upgrade was worth the time an and money

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Since you have a 383 then I presume originality isn't an issue. That would be the only reason not to go to an internally regulated alternator IMHO. For one thing, they put out a hellova lot more current than the old externally regulated alternators. For another, the voltage stability is much better which can prevent ignition component failures and other issues related to voltage spikes. I installed a CS130 style using the techreference on this website as a guide.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is why I went with the CS130 instead of the SI model: (quoted from the tech article)

"The one I used (and what I recommend) is the 105 amp version due to it's physical size being similar to the original alternator. As a result, you can use more commonly available brackets. The typical SI alternator is only good for 63 amps and that is at a higher RPM than what the CS's need. In other words, at idle, the CS is putting out, where as the SI is just spinning."

I made a complete project out of doing the conversion. I rewired the front end, replaced the horn relay, replaced the starter, replaced the battery cables, and installed Sylvania Cool Blue headlights.

The constant 14 volts of power fixed my dim headlights at idle issue. For some additional info on my project click here.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Ditto. Good idle current capability, higher total output, roller bearings front and rear, and it looks good.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Before doing anything to upgrade your charging system, check out madelectrical.com. This guy has a wealth of knowledge specifically on 67-69 Camaros, as well as other Musclecars. His website is FULL of great info and he explains everything fully. Check it out and then give him a call, tell him what your needs are and he will steer you in the right direction.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts