Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new internally regulated alternator but dont know what amperage to buy. I am running the bare essentials of a Coupe with no AC or console gauges. Any suggestions or does it matter?
Thanks,
Mitch

Plain old 69 Camaro

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
i just put in a cs130 in my 72 took me 30 min it works great. its rated at 105 amp from advance auto #p79223 from a 89 Pontiac and it comes with the v pully, i paid a total of $82.00 with my core, if you go to the tech page they show you how to put it on. and it a little smaller

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
why go to the internal reg. alternator? just a question. Maybe read up at www.madelectrical.com before you do. Higher outputs alt. dont gain alot other than eliminate the regulator. Your old elec. systems still only pull the amount they were built for, like radio, lights etc.
That site has excellent tech reading.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i would upgrade to the newer internally regulated alt just to get rid of a few wires under the hood- less wires and less connections means less resistance and load on the 35 year old wiring.
also, a stronger alt will mean brighter headlights and an all around better running car. more miles per gallon of gas and more power when you want it is always a good thing.
just make sure to run a fairly big wire from the post on the back of the alt directly to the positive post on the battery.
all that, and the CS alternators just look cooler than the bulky old alternators. it's amazing how high tech it makes it look when you pop tha hood.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
In addition to Novaderrik's comments, internally regualted alternators regulate the system voltage better than the old buzzer style regulators. This is particularly important with electronic ignition systems. Mallory is one example of an electronic ignition system that will fail if hit with a voltage spike or excessive voltage. Another benefit to the CS130 alternator is that is produces much better idle amperage that any of the other types. That is important news if you plan on running electric fans or other high current accessories in the future. IMHO, there are more reasons to switch to a CS130 than stay with the vintage setup.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the only reason the CS alterntor wasn't installed on cars in 69 was because it wasn't invented yet.
the original setup sucks- the brighter headlights alone would make it worth the cost and 15 minutes of effort to do the swap.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
for those like me with the old alt. that site www.madelectrical.com has a special section dealing with the dim headlights and their relay kit to eliminate it. I got the kit, now to install it. It bypasses the old wires with fresh new wire to the lights from a relay system off the bat terminal behind the battery. Its just an option for folks with the dim lights like mine without redoing the whole wire harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts