Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my stock 37 amp alternator to a 60 amp. Do i need to change any of the wires to a higher guage or can i use the existing wires going to the alternator and from alternator back to voltage regulator? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you have a digital multimeter?When you hook up the new alt put a load on it such as lights,heater and measure the output of alt right at alt by grounding black lead of meter to alt case then red to alt output terminal and take reading.Then take meter over to battery and take reading at battery posts.If the meter reads lower at battery than it did at alt then the wires are to small and causing resistance.you should get very close to identical readings give or take a 'tenth'of a volt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i have a huge wire on my 120 amp alternator in my nova- it is like 6 gauge or something. it is a stock battery cable out of a newer caprice cop car.goes straight from the terminal on the back of the alternator to the positive terminal. i have ZERO voltage drop from alt to battery-14.7 at both ends, with everything running.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.