Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched threads and read the recommended sites for info. I know I want to stick to a three wire unit. I have new factory fit wiring in place for an si alt. I don't have a lot of bells and whistles on this 67. I do have A/C and have to run an electric fuel pump all time, no mechanical pump Gen V block.

I have located a 12si 94 amp alternator. Will the 94 amp output be safe with the stock type wiring harness? Is this too many amps or can I count on it working without changing any wiring? Thanks for letting me bore you with another alt question.
Pop Moore

·
Super Moderator
32,604 Posts
Installation should be just fine if harness is made for an internal reg alternator.

Generally, later model cars with higher amperage alternators, the red wire power source distribution system is upgraded to #8 AWG wire vice the #10 AWG wire as originally equipped. Since you don't have any 'heavy' current load accessories, present wiring should be adequate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We put the three wire 12si in place today. Thanks for the information on the stock type wiring.
Pop

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know, haven't fired it up yet. It should be ok. We did change some wiring on the a/c and fuel pump. We were picking up power at the bulkhead connector near the battery. We removed these power supply wires from the bulkhead connector. They were extended with larger wire to access voltage at the horn relay bussbar. The new wiring harness was set up for the si series alternator with larger wire. No problem with 12si install. I think we have our electrical system in check. We will see in a few more days.
Pop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts