Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok- finally got car started- now charging system not working. gen light on and battery not charging (v meter on battery during run).

is there any way to test alternator (3 wire) at home? while in the car?

tia

toph
sd,ca

·
Registered
768 Posts
old shade tree mechanic trick is to take a screwdriver and place it at the back of the alt. right in the center. if the alt. is charging there will be a magnetic force "suck" the screwdriver to the alt. i've done this on good alternators but have never had a bad alt. to try it with so i can't be absolutely sure that it is a valid in car test. try it and let us know if it's true or not.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Other old time trick, though several scoff at it.. start it up. then disconnect the battery.. car dies = bad alternator or regulator.. change alternator and regulator at same time never alone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok- got the charging working again by removing the ground wire that came off of the v regulator. turns out the ground terminal to the reg shared the post with the brown wire going to dash and gen light.

ok- battery now sees 14.5 volts at ~2500 rpm. 13.8 or so at idle. seems like it's ok.

the old reg didn't have the separate ground strap- used the reg body instead- i surmise.

thanks for the tips and help.

new problem in a new topic.

toph
sd,ca

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1969 camaro RS. My generator light remains on at all times, even when the car is running. I suspect it is my alternator that is not charging the battery. Any help ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts