Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i post this, let me say that i read every thread i could find on 67-69 camaros with alternator problems. None of them actually resovled the problem i'm having.:mad: .... so here it goes.

Battery drains over a period 3-5 days of infrequent driving. The battery measures 12.6 volts from terminal to terminal. From the negative Bat Terminal to the Alternator Positive post i get 12.55 volts. I also get 12.55 volts at the Alternator case. This is all very good resistance delta.

BUT - when i measure Neg Bat Terminal to the connector on the back of the alternator (two prongs), or the Positive Bat Terminal to the two prongs i get a Voltage of -9volts or +9 volts. . I think this is the problem... i'm missing 3 volts? This is all when the vehicle is off as well as running. That's the other wrinkle. when the car is running at 2k RPM my new alternator is only putting out 9Vs back to the battery. Could this be as simple as i have the two prongs wires reversed?

It's a new alternator. I've also traced the wires from the Alternator plugs to the fan and they have no obvious shorts. What the heck?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The case of the alternator is at 12+ volts? I think this should be at engine block potential, essentially zero volts.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
In the basics sticky at the top of electrical, there is an article on troubleshooting this system, here's a direct link http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77994

All the proper voltage readings are in the article.

As for the 2 prongs... the blue wire should be on the right, looking at the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx. and i'll read the article.

and does the blue wire on the right go to the fan next? My car has been rewired and does not have original colors, so i'm dealing with all kinds of a color complexity.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Fan? We're gonna need more details... particularly as far as how stock your car is.
69 Camaros have a mechanical fan, it has no wires.
69 Camaros have an external regulator. The blue and white wires from the alternator go to the top 2 pins of this regulator.

If your camaro has an electric fan, it's wiring should go no where near the small blue and white wires from the alternator.

If your Camaro has been converted to an internal regulated alternator, the info I've given may not be correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts