Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my donated int reg alternator tested at AutoZone and it was dead. This contributed to battery drain over night while sitting. My question is this. I am purchasing an equivilent internal reg alternator to what I had. I have a M&H voltage reg. bypass plug also in place. When I test my wires my blue ,I beleive, is for my idiot light. That's dead which is normal. I have a red from the horn relay which has 12.5v to my power connection on the alt. I also have a white wire which reads 12.5v. According to my diagram from this site they suggest jumping from the red to this termianl on the alt. What does this white powered wire do? I just don't want to fry my alt! thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The bypass plug is basically two jumpers. It connects the 1 and 3 wires together and the 2 and 4 wires together. Looking at the back of the internal reg alternator, the wire that has battery voltage with the key "OFF" gets connected to the right terminal and the wire that has voltage with the key "ON" (idiot light wire) connects to the left terminal. You could run a jumper from the charge post on the alternator to the right terminal, but I wouldn't connect the small wire from the original harness to the jumper. If you lost the connection between the charge post and the horn relay it would smoke the small wire to the regulator bypass plug in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I use the plug that was included in the kit for the alternator connection I should be ok?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts