Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be correct in assuming altitude does not affect the results of wet nitrous performance since the oxygen is supplied via the N2O, thus creating a combustion environment independent of the outside environment? Inessence, non-naturally aspitrated? Just curious, it's something a friend of mine and I are discussing. He thinks N2O systems lose power with altitude, I can't see that happening.

BTW, long time since I've posted, so "hello" to everyone!

BW

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I think you are correct, because the nitrous supplies the oxygen. The overall power may still be down slightly though, but because of altitudes effect on the motor alone.
For an example, we see very little difference in the race car going from our 1000' and lower DA locally to Las Vegas' around 3000' when we race there, the ET usually changes very little but slightly, maybe a tenth. Also, we really don't touch jetting either, since it's shown little difference, likely for the same reason.
Of course this is just based on experience only, no scientifical type evidence....

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I'm with your friend on this one.

It's the ability to burn extra fuel that makes the power when using N2O.

So if the N2O system is rated at, let's say a 125 shot at sea level, then at 6000 feet altitude, it would only be about a 100 shot because you couldn't use all the extra fuel the N2O would normally allow.

The engine always knows it's at altitude.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it is my understanding that the Oxygen comes from the N2O itself, and not from outside. This being the case, wouldn't a shot of Nitrous Oxide from a container + the shot of fuel from the fuel solenoid = a set mix, regardless of altitude? We are discusssing strictly the N2O system performance, not the engine performance in its naturally apirated state. Basically, his point is that N20 performance gain will differ with altitude, whereas I believe the N20 gain will be steady at any altitude, only the engine itself will vary when not receiving a shot of juice.

The reason for our debate is this: I figured that an engine pushing the edge of the envelope on a nitrous bottle, in terms of tolerance, at sea level, would ultimately allow a bit more at say 4000 ft. While our ultimate conclusion is similar, his reasoning is that the nitrous ALSO makes less power at higher altitudes, AS WELL AS the engine. His thinking calls for more nitrous than mine does. See, me, I understand that the engine itself will produce less power at higher altitudes, but the max safe N2O injection would be only slightly higher than it is at sea level, and not "a lot" higher than at sea level like my buddy professes.

I guess we are trying to figure out how to stretch the envelope of N2O tolerance as much as possible, even though none of us even run the stuff, lol! :D

BW

·
Registered
314 Posts
ok ,well i live at 5800 ft but normally air we race in is at 7500-8500 d/a and up. ive never seen a car at sea level pick up more et than it does up here with the same nos jetting.not to say it cant happen but alt def likes the bottle cause your adding pure oxygen not just more air.thats why up here blower cars dont run as hard as nos cars do. most small shots (125hp etc)pick up a car at sea level 1 second or so. ive picked up 2 sec with that up here so ,nos def works better at hi alt.friends mustang (fuel inj car)runs 12.40 on motor and runs 11.50 on a 75 shot . also when we raced heads up we'd run same nos jetting and carb jetting in pheonix,vegas etc, we ran up here, and car was within a tenth or so .it would mph better down there but we'd have to back progressive timer off to get car to 60ft .where as up in denver it wouldnt hit tires as hard,but youd be down at big end on power due to overall power loss due to obvious elevation change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only thing that will change at a high altitude is the HP on the motor because it won't be getting as much oxygen from the outside air. But it won't effect the nitrous, a 125 shot will still be a 125 shot no matter the altitude you will jsut have less HP over all because you won't be getting as much oxygen from the outside.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for confirming my theories. Looks like my friend Paul owes me a case of beer over this one, heheh. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts