Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently finishing getting my engine and tranny together. It is a 454 and a BW Super T-10. I need a proper flywheel before I bring them together. Now, I have already bought a 454 flywheel balancer plate to make use of a 350 flywheel, so today I checked out some junkyards to find a flywheel. I was shocked not to find any pre 81 350 normal cast iron flywheels, however I did find an appropriate aluminum flywheel. I got it cheap, and brought it home. After cleaning it up I found a few markings, including a patent number and an Alcoa stamping.

Now, does anyone know if my balancer will work on this lighter flywheel?

If not, i imagine this thing's worth a little more than the scrap price i got it for, does anyone know more about it?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Ryan
Can't specifically comment on whether that flywheel is going to work for you, but something to consider is that your starter gear has hardened steel teeth that will be engaging aluminum, which is a softer metal. You may need to be careful with that.

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Ryan
... something to consider is that your starter gear has hardened steel teeth that will be engaging aluminum, which is a softer metal. You may need to be careful with that.
Aluminum flywheels use a 'steel' ring gear - same as iron/steel flywheels - for starter driven teeth ;)

Many of the 80's ~ 90's 305/350's in both passenger and light truck applications used a cast aluminum flywheel for the weight savings.
They are NOT high RPM rated units and not recommended for most performance applications :noway:
Check the balance type used also - even if your application permits, they may require changing your crank/damper balance system to use ...

Better to buy a new and rated flywheel that meets your needs than try to 'junk-yard' source these :yes:
If your planning any drag racing a slightly heavier unit may help your times - if your planning any track/road course driving then a lighter unit may best fit your needs ...

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I did the math once, but can't remember exactly. I cut the weight on my flywheel on my J*p*n*s* car from 22 lbs to 12, and I think it was a 15% acceleration improvement in 1st gear. You get almost nothing in higher gears.

I know that sounds like a lot for a 10 pound cut, but it is rotational inertia at a high rpm. 0-60 times reduced by about 0.2 seconds.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.