Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 has the original am/fm delco push button in it and when I turn on the power it just lights up. No sound is coming out so I'm thinking the original dash speaker no longer works. The radio is still soldered to the speaker.

Did the am/fm push button with just a front speaker have the ability to add a replacement speaker that is not mono? If not, where can I get a mono speaker to fit the dash? I bought one of those replacements that comes with two 3.5's in it but I think I may have wasted my money on that one.

Is there a way to tell if the radio was stereo because I don't have a rear speaker but it could have been taken out at some point?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Most of the parts places (Ricks, Year One, etc) carry replacements. First I'd try touching a 9V battery to the speaking leads and see if you get a crackle. If you do, it's not the speaker. Those radios with their germanium output transistors were not the most reliable things ever built. They really don't want to see anything lower than a 10 ohm load so your stereo replacement speaker is not a good choice. If it was stereo (a rare option) it would have a separate multiplex unit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts