Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled out an Auto Meter 6-gauge cluster from my 69. I'm replacing it w/ original dash, w/ clock, fuel and speedo, with a stand alone water temp. I would like to add a tach later.

All the other wiring works fine and is new, even if it's not the prettiest.

I found this dash harness: http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.m...=CLASSICDASHACCESSORIES&Store_Code=camaro6769

Two rookie questions:

1) Will this dash harness match up with the rest of the wiring that is already in the car (again, it's new and in working order).
2) Does this harness end at the firewall, or does anything go farther than that?

I've been studying some great diagrams from this manual I found on an old forum post: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32913817/69-Camaro-AIM, so I think the answer is "yes" to both questions; but just want to be sure. As someone mentioned (sorry I forgot who it was), the electric starts on p176.

I felt like this would be a great sticky, if it isn't already? Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Probably don't want to make a sticky out of a copy righted book that has been scanned and posted on the internet.?.?

Why not use an original harness? Yes, they are expensive. But it would clean up the old (and new) hack job.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably don't want to make a sticky out of a copy righted book that has been scanned and posted on the internet.?.?

Why not use an original harness? Yes, they are expensive. But it would clean up the old (and new) hack job.

I'm on a budget, as always, so I was trying to use any parts that were still good. Was hoping the existing wires would work.

As for the manual, once it's on a free Internet source, like scribd, it's pretty much fair use, not copyright infringement, to post something like that. It's already posted on the forum pages, so posting it again won't be any worse. I only mentioned it b/c I saw someone on Tech looking for a manual for a 67... figured I wasn't the only one who was lost.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I would use a harness from factory fit from American Auto Wire. I have had no issues wiring Camaro's with these and loads of trouble with others. http://factoryfit.com

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I'm on a budget, as always, so I was trying to use any parts that were still good. Was hoping the existing wires would work.

As for the manual, once it's on a free Internet source, like scribd, it's pretty much fair use, not copyright infringement, to post something like that. It's already posted on the forum pages, so posting it again won't be any worse. I only mentioned it b/c I saw someone on Tech looking for a manual for a 67... figured I wasn't the only one who was lost.
I hear you regarding the budget. I am the same way. I am always keeping my eye out for a good deal. I bought my harnesses when there was 20% off at one of the vendors. I am adding a few things. So, I had to replace more than one harness to make it all work. Plus, a couple were cut up pretty good, too.

The '68 instrument cluster is just one plug (plus clock power if you have it). So, it's a pretty easy fix if one is swapping back to original. Adding additional instruments to a non-factory gauge car is a bit more work. But they also have some harnesses for that! I'm not sure about '69s...

Interesting about the copyright thing. I hope more people scan all the books in the library so I can get them "legally"! One would think that the book companies would want to continue to make money on their books... But I have no idea how it really works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts