Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a repro shifter just like this one.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUNC...temQQcategoryZ140719QQitemZ220089903046QQrdZ1

I have an M20 tranny with the following numbers..

driver side by the selectors...3884685
tailshaft.. 3857584
pass side case... 3885010

I tried to "test fit" the shifter to the tranny but for the life of me I can't tell how it bolts up to it. :clonk: Can anyone tell me if I have the correct shifter for this tranny and if you have a picture of one installed that would be bonus! Thanks guys!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
403 Posts
The picture certainly appears to be the original repro shifter that bolts to the transmission crossmember, not the transmission tail shaft housing.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh so it bolts up to the crossmember?? maybe that's my problem. I have seen the shifters bolt up to the tailshafts but I never noticed if it would go on the crossmember..I'll have to check that out

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...Look at the crossmember, ...you'll see the 2 bolt holes forward, ...and one aft (or is it the other way around?), ...anyway they should be on the driver's side of the trans. Many times the crossmember would be put back in, ...and 'flipped' where those holes end up on the pass. side.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
Isn't the shifter shown missing the stabilizer bar going from the shifter to the tailhousing bolt?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Its does not come with the strut brace(stabilizer bar). I just purchased the same shifter for my m20 install, and needed to buy the strut brace sepaterly. I also had the problem with the length of the 3-4 shift rod being to short.

jason

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its does not come with the strut brace(stabilizer bar). I just purchased the same shifter for my m20 install, and needed to buy the strut brace sepaterly. I also had the problem with the length of the 3-4 shift rod being to short.

jason
hey Jason, do you have any pics of your tranny installed? Also where did you get the strut brace at?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
sorry i missed the post and was out of town. i purchased the strut from ricks, i can see if i can get a picture, i dont have one right now.

I'll let you know

jason

·
Registered
601 Posts
yes they are 3 bolt holes in cross member i bought the same shifter since i got a console from a friend an original for free (almost had a heart attack when he said ill give it to you)this was year and half ago before they came out with repos. the aftermarket and non console cars shifters hook to tail housing

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds good jason. I went back out to the garage and I saw the 3 holes on the crossmember. All along I thought this thing bolted up to the tailshaft of the tranny :clonk: I do want to see how the strut brace bolts up though

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
do you have a BB or SB?
The rods and stab bar are different for BB and SB but I think they only repro the SB parts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have a BB or SB?
The rods and stab bar are different for BB and SB but I think they only repro the SB parts
I am installing a SB HO 350 crate motor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts