Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently brought home a set of AMD rear quarter panels which I think are awesome for a repo. I had a Dynacorn trunk pan on order until I realized that AMD also made the trunk pan. I immediately called and changed my order to the AMD even though I have never seen one of their trunk pans. Have any of you seen the AMD and Dynacorn side by side? Which one is better? What can you tell me about the AMD full trunk pan, any and all comments are welcomed, good or bad. Thanks.

I am attaching a few photos of the AMD Quarters so you can see why I like AMD so much. I just hope the trunk pan is as good as the quarters.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be, I don't know but the AMD part # is 800-3567. Same price as the Dynacorn.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
I am quite happy with my Dynacorn. The fit and gauge quality is excellent! The only issue I think it has it the rear edge of it where the tail panel welds up to it. It has a bowed center and causes the tail light panel to bow out in the center too much. Could've been just mine, but hey I thought I would mention it to see if others had the same issue with theirs.

Oh and the Dynacorn includes the side quarter to trunk braces too.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Its my understanding that only 1 company makes those full trunk pans, Dynacorn but I could be mistaken.
That may be, I don't know but the AMD part # is 800-3567. Same price as the Dynacorn.
Mike is correct, the correct part number is X800-3568, where the X means that it is not an AMD part.

I should be getting my AMD quarters soon. They look good.

Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my new catalog the x is not there in the part number. I know that the x indicates a non AMD part. It is my understanding that they are making them now, either that or there is a misprint in my catalog that just showed up today. Can anybody clear this up?

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
The only one shown on their website is the X800-3567,meaning its a CHL or Dynacorn piece. Both of which are nice pieces. If it does not have the convert shaker braces, its a CHL piece. If it includes the convert shaker plates, its a Dynacorn. We have used all of the panel brands mentioned in our restos,and all do the job very well. All take tweaks to get perfect, even GM NOS. I would not obsess too much over brand. The panel you ordered will work well for you, no matter what the part number is. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
As Bob said, the Dynacorn trunk floor and full floor are pretty good items.

The difference in those AMD quarters is substaintial. We just did a install article for Super Chevy with those. They felt heavy so we weighed them. The AMD came in a 27LBS and the others at 19, almost 50% heavier the AMD were! And the lines were crisp and they fit.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
The only one shown on their website is the X800-3567,meaning its a CHL or Dynacorn piece. Both of which are nice pieces. If it does not have the convert shaker braces, its a CHL piece. If it includes the convert shaker plates, its a Dynacorn. We have used all of the panel brands mentioned in our restos,and all do the job very well. All take tweaks to get perfect, even GM NOS. I would not obsess too much over brand. The panel you ordered will work well for you, no matter what the part number is. :)

Bob-- I like the way you put it. Perfectly... :thumbsup: I am learning this along the way since I have a mix of brand of metal on my Camaro. I can tell you from my experience that the next time around, I would stick with all one brand or as much as possible, to maximize your chances of a better fit from the box. As with all the panels I have worked with, none of them just splashed down onto the car into perfect position. You will have to adjust bend, tweak, splice, slice, weld, and alter most every reproduction or GM NOS panel for that matter, before installing them. Otherwise, you'll end with large gaps, wavy lines, and a shoddy overall "quicky" resto. Whew-- I'm done now. :D

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bob-- I like the way you put it. Perfectly... :thumbsup: I am learning this along the way since I have a mix of brand of metal on my Camaro. I can tell you from my experience that the next time around, I would stick with all one brand or as much as possible, to maximize your chances of a better fit from the box. As with all the panels I have worked with, none of them just splashed down onto the car into perfect position. You will have to adjust bend, tweak, splice, slice, weld, and alter most every reproduction or GM NOS panel for that matter, before installing them. Otherwise, you'll end with large gaps, wavy lines, and a shoddy overall "quicky" resto. Whew-- I'm done now. :D
No adjusting needed at all on my nos quarters and tailpan will see how the nos front sheetmetal fits eventually soon as I finish the garage and making lots of progress on it. :hurray: Its taking some time but I will never give up on restoring my vert.

Those AMD quarters look nice and heavier gaige metal is always welcome.

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
No adjusting needed at all on my nos quarters and tailpan will see how the nos front sheetmetal fits eventually soon as I finish the garage and making lots of progress on it. :hurray: Its taking some time but I will never give up on restoring my vert.

Those AMD quarters look nice from the rear and heavier gaige metal is nicer.

That's awesome that it all fits right for you. I wish mine fit better out of the box. Well, if anything, it will help me sharpen my metalwork skills. :D Good news is that all my front end is clean original rust-free GM metal. Survivor stuff. Plus you can use shims!:hurray: Glad to hear someone had an easy time with the tail end.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Are these AMD panels the ones that are being advertised by some Camaro retailers as Made In the USA and are expensive???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know where they are made but my price was exactly the same as the Dynacorn full pan.

I'm still confused on if this is an AMD made pan or not. According to their catalog I just got in the mail on Friday, it is an AMD made panel (no "x" in the part number) but the web site has the "x" in the part number. I tried to call them but they are closed on the weekend. I will call them Monday and sort this out.

·
Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I don't know where they are made but my price was exactly the same as the Dynacorn full pan.

I'm still confused on if this is an AMD made pan or not. According to their catalog I just got in the mail on Friday, it is an AMD made panel (no "x" in the part number) but the web site has the "x" in the part number. I tried to call them but they are closed on the weekend. I will call them Monday and sort this out.

It's not currently being made with AMD tooling. Many times,the AMD part number is in the catalog, but the part is not quite ready yet,(door shells and roof skins are an example) so they sell what is currently available. They have always been quick to point this out to us upon ordering. They are located literally 1 mile from our facility,so we generally pick our parts up directly from their store.

It's the same price as a Dyna floor, so I think you might have already answered your own question.:thumbsup: Hope this helps clear up any confusion.:beers:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just called AMD this morning because their catalog says they make their own and the web site says they don't. Here's the scoop. They have it in prototype and it should be test fitted withing the next few weeks. When that is done, and it meets their approval, they will start production and the AMD trunk pan will hit the streets in 3-6 months.

The person I talked to says the web site is not up to date at all. Looks like my new catalog is slightly ahead of its time. I guess we need to call them directly so we can check each part out for ourselves. Worth the effort considering the quality of their stampings.

AMD 1-866-591-8309

1 - 18 of 18 Posts