Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend: Americanautowire or Painless wiring kit for a 67 Camaro RS. Keeping in mind you are dealing with an amateur….

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: Americanautowire or Painless wiring kit

AAW all the way! I have used the exact replacement and the upgrade kits.
Plus they are just a phone call away if you have a issue. Very good customer service.
I purchased a painless kit and resold it to buy the AAW kit after looking at the instructions.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I had no problem with my Painless harness but you will need to reuse many of your original connectors. If I had to do it over again I would use AAW, but the Painless worked fine for me.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts

From what I saw the Painless harness was anything but. It would be good if you were wiring up an old street rod with modern circuitry and components and each switch and gauge and component was selected for your specific car build.

For our Camaros get AAW or M&H Wiring kit (what I used, it was great) with end connectors already attached.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts

Go with AAW :thumbsup: Painless is an PITA

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts

It depends on if you want a upgrade kit or factory. I put an entire factory kit from AAW and love it in my 69. The kit plugs in exactly like the factory one , "grille to rear bumper" The kit was about $1000. and worth every penny. I also fell victom to a Painless kit for my 84 tow truck, works fine , but a total pain in the but to instal

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,183 Posts

Aaw.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts

I used AAW in my Camaro and M&H in the Firebird, both of them were excellent.
X2 on M&H. Very nice work ...

·
Premium Member
790 Posts

Just installed the AAW on my 67 and I would use it again today on another. Get customer service if you have problems. AAW all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts

AAW for me !!! Bought the plug and play for the engine and RS lighting and worked great !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all.., AAW it is.. I was told I can not use the Classic ($589) kit. Any reason why not????

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
AAW..great choice

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
You might also check with Ron Francis.com, they have been making wiring harnesses for many years, for all kinds of vehicles......I recently installed a Painless Wiring complete from front bumper to rear tail lights in my 68 Camaro Coupe, and one problem I ran into when driving the coupe at night the headlights would flash on and off, that is scary, call Painless Tech and told him the problem, first thing he asked do you have halogen headlights, and I said yes, The Tech said I need to buy an additional harness to correct the overload on the headlights, at an additional cost of approx $179.00 plus shipping (That is not mentioned until you have that problem), so ordered the additional harness, installed it and that solved the problem. Same thing happened when installed the 4 console guages, bought the kit for approx $350 from Classic Industries, then when installing found there was no harness wires going to the guages, called them, and again needed additonal harness, think that was around $150 -$200, and of course don't forget the shipping charges, Installed the additional harness, and the guages worked. Point being, funny the companies that sell these harnesses don't even mention there may be additional wiring harness(s) needed.......
Who ever you order the harness from, ask customer service if additional harness will be needed to complete the job..........Just my point of view, good luck............

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
I think what you are talking about is a classic update kit. I thought about that kit as well, but it is not much different from a Painless kit. That kit has the new style push in fuses, extra wires for fuelpump or power windowes and many other things as well. That kit is also trim to fit, not direct fit. I feel that it is not out of the question to start on Friday after work and be driving your car before Monday with the plug and play kit with no problems. I replaced my entire 69 harness in a day. The 67 has less under the dash and should be quicker. The classic kit is just as much of a pain as the Painless kit. I know the plug and play kit is more money, but it is a one time job, and should last as long as the original one. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
14,291 Posts
I think what you are talking about is a classic update kit. I thought about that kit as well, but it is not much different from a Painless kit. That kit has the new style push in fuses, extra wires for fuelpump or power windowes and many other things as well. That kit is also trim to fit, not direct fit. I feel that it is not out of the question to start on Friday after work and be driving your car before Monday with the plug and play kit with no problems. I replaced my entire 69 harness in a day. The 67 has less under the dash and should be quicker. The classic kit is just as much of a pain as the Painless kit. I know the plug and play kit is more money, but it is a one time job, and should last as long as the original one. Good luck and hope this helps.
The AAW is better then the Painless.

The flashing headlight problem noted above is because to the circuit breaker in the OEM Headlight Switch. The AAW CU Kit comes with a New headlight switch.

For super high load headlights I'd simply run them off relays.

P pefer the trim to fit over plug and play as you can get a much neater install with dealing with the excess length or deal with one that's just a little too short.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts