Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wrapping up a full rewire using the Classic Update harness from American Autowire. My tach (which was working perfectly before the wire) is dead. Using my multimeter, I am getting pretty constant 12V to the Coil lead and nothing on the 12V lead. My ignition system is an MSD HEI, 6AL box with a tech filter. Any tips or tricks on where I can start trouble shooting this one? Would love to get her running for the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Are you using the same distributor? You say you are getting 12V to the coil (+ve?) Where do you have the tach wire hooked to?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm at the root of the problem but have no idea how to fix it... Confirmed all the wires are hooked up correctly and checked voltage at the wire connections under the hood. But I'm frying my fuse when I turn the key on. My first time tracking down a short - no clue where to go from here. Any sage advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
there should not be 12 volts constant on the tachometer signal wire, so I suspect your wires are crossed in the bulkhead connector.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, 69-Pace... I thought that was weird too. If the wires are mixed up at the bulkhead, could that cause me to blow the 5a fuse on start?

·
14,093 Posts
Thanks, 69-Pace... I thought that was weird too. If the wires are mixed up at the bulkhead, could that cause me to blow the 5a fuse on start?
the AAW classic update kit has a white wire labeled coil tach on the engine side of the bulkhead.

Has the same wire on the pass side of bulkhead so it can not be mixed up at the bulkhead connector.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup... I have that going to the purple wire coming off the tach filter/adapter. Then I have 12V from tach filter/adapter to 12V from AAW harness. Car will start and run fine, so I don't believe I have a distributor or coil issue - just the doggone tach is dead. If it helps, my console gauges are also dead. Guess I could replace fuse, unplug console harness and see if i blow the fuse again?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
well you will have to do some isolation and troubleshooting to find what on that circuit is blowing the fuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts