Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 camaro that needs a new wiring harness. I was looking at AAW classic update kits and looks to be a good deal. Who has the best pricing on these kits ? They are all over Ebay with ok pricing. Any good or bad with these kits? Thanks Darren

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have a 67 camaro that needs a new wiring harness. I was looking at AAW classic update kits and looks to be a good deal. Who has the best pricing on these kits ? They are all over Ebay with ok pricing. Any good or bad with these kits? Thanks Darren
Excellent quality. I rewired my '69 with AAW's Factory Fit harnesses and had no problems with any of the harnesses.

David F.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking this is the way to go. I know it will be a little harder than a factory harness but can't be to bad. But my car is together and running so we will see.

·
Registered
951 Posts
ebay, i bought mine from ebay and it was the cheapest on the internet.. i didnt search ebay itself, i searched google, and a buy it now auction came up, and since its in the buyers "store" it doesnt come up in a regular auction because it doesnt have a set end date, so try that, might get about 25-50 cheaper, plus free shipping

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
We have been American Autowire dealers for 20 years when the owners started in their garage. We sell and install them. Doing a few installs as we speak in the shop.

We sell them for $500 and free shipping

·
Registered
499 Posts
I rewired my 68 last year with the AAW kit and I think it is great.
You get all new wire, terminals and connector blocks.
The instructions are good too.
You must have a good crimping tool for the terminals though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What is a good crimping tool for this install?
You will see some crimping tools on the AAW website but they have quite a price tag on them.
You see some crimping tools on e-bay that are a little cheaper.

I recommend the ratchet type of crimping tool to get the best connection

·
Registered
451 Posts
I recommend AAW's classic update and get it from Frank @ Prodigy Customs, you can't beat his customer service. I used my T&B crimper and dielectric grease. Take you time and test it as you go.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I am now in the process of rewiring my 68 with this kit and am pretty happy with it so far. I am not as thrilled with the directions but using my shop manual along with it helps me a lot. I am just starting to wire up the interior now. The engine bay was a little difficult for me but it is all in and I hope all correct. I will know soon enough when I go to test it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going with the AAW classic update and from what I understand there are some ends that will have to be cut and ends crimped on. Looking for crimping tool now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Why do you need to crimp? What is not included with the harness?
Many of the harnesses are "over" length and not terminated at one end.
You cut the harness to length and terminate or you thread wires through a bulkhead terminate and then fit some terminals into a terminal block.
All wires and terminals are included in the kit and they even give you a range of spare terminals in case you make a mistake or want to have a practice run.

·
Registered
832 Posts
So give me an idea though about this harness. I currently have two harnesses in a box. One from the body and one from the engine bay. I have browsed around looking through electrical sections on camaro websites and there are smaller harnesses for dash stuff, console stuff. Both my harnesses have no extra anything plugged into any of the sockets, except a few light bulbs. I buy this wire set and I get..?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I used the AAW kit for my 68. works great, comes with everything, and the instructions show it all. each section of the car is a different "kit", all included in the complete kit, that ends up all wired together. Just breaks it down into sections so it's easier to tackle. Each wire is labeled all the way down for what it goes to, and they're all extra long, so you can play with how you route the wires and cut where you like. I used an electricians stripper/crimper I picked up at lowes to attach all the clips.

just start at the fuse panel, route the wires, use zip ties to bundle, cut after you're sure it's all where you want it, then add the clips. Pull it out and wrap it, cutting zip ties as you go, then reinstall. Time consumig, but easy and removes questions of what a PO may have spliced in somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the info here. My kit is on it's way now and I'm sure i will have some questions here and there as I go. Darren

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
So give me an idea though about this harness. I currently have two harnesses in a box. One from the body and one from the engine bay. I have browsed around looking through electrical sections on camaro websites and there are smaller harnesses for dash stuff, console stuff. Both my harnesses have no extra anything plugged into any of the sockets, except a few light bulbs. I buy this wire set and I get..?
Fwiw....If you aren't doing a custom installation requiring extra long wires........purchase AAW's Factory Fit harnesses as they have the necessary connectors already installed.........no need to buy a crimping tool or use zip ties to tie several wires togther. I used the Factory Fit harnesses on my '69 and the installation was very easy.

David F.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts