Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one ever used the Flomaster American Thunder Exhaust system? I just ordered one for My 68 Big Block car and I was wondering how they fit? Sound? Etc..
Thanks, Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 83000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The fit is perfect. The delta flows are a little higher pitched than regular flowmasters, but sound great and no resonance. A little louder than expected.

I looked for you at Super Chevy back in March, didn't see you.

Lonnie

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 12.10 @110.6, best MPH 112.96
website

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lonnie, I sent you an email with a pic of my race car. i didnt make it this year to phoenix, I had some last minute crap come up, but i should be there in 2002.
On the exhaust, do the tail pipes dump in the correct location or do they stick out the back like a 69?
Thanks, Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 X77 D80 83000 original miles,DZ 302, M-21, BU 373 Rear End, ZL-2 Ducted Hood, Daytona Yellow, Black Deluxe, Tilt, Factory AM/FM, Console Gauges.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When you see a price on a Flowmaster exhaust system, are the mufflers included? I assume so. Anyone have an idea how these systems compare price wise to having pipes custom bent at a muffler shop? I know they're better for performance, etc... just want to know how much more I will have to pay...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed this system about 2 months ago on my '68 small block. The fit was perfect and all the hardware was included.

The 40 series Delta Flow mufflers aren't exactly quiet. At part throttle, its a low rumble, and full throttle gives a nice loud roar.

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
They make two different systems -- the kind with the crossflow muffler and the dual-- I have the dual. It fit great, bolted right up,and every thing is included. It sounds great and has polished stainless tips that exit in the stock 69 location. Very good system for the money. (I think I got it from summit for 328.00)

·
Registered
867 Posts
I also put the Flowmaster dual system on my former '69 Z/28. My car already had headers when I bought it, so I went back with new headers when I restored it. The exhaust system is designed for headers and comes with everything needed, including crossover, mufflers, chrome tipped tailpipes(69 style exit) and all hardware. I was able to install this in my garage on jack stands. After installing everything, I drove it to a muffler shop (with open headers and many stares) and had everything welded. The sound, fit and appearance was worth the approximate $320. I plan to install the same system on my '69 Z11.

------------------
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quik replys, I am really looking forward to getting this on the the car. I just spent 3 hours last night replacing the old Casler headers with a new set of Hooker Super comps with 2 inch primarys, Wow What a pain in rear that was but their finally on. I did oder the exhaust system from Summit and it shoud be here by the weekend. ill let you know how it sounds.
Thanks,
Nick

------------------

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I believe you have made a good choice. I have the American Thunder system on my '68 and it fit like a glove. And most importantly, it was inexpensive $260 for the 1968. Exits in stock location between fender and leaf spring for me, but for the '69 the system is probably different. Yes, mufflers are included for any who wondered.

Oh yes, and I love the sound.
Low rumble when cruising, but it roars when you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As stated previously there are two american thunder systems for the camaro. You would think the cross flow type would be close to the original but it is not. Two problems, the exhaust tips are not stainless and you cannot use the existing hanger locations. I used the true dual system and it mounted perfectly and the stainless tips finish it off.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The American Thunder system has 2 Delta Flow 2 chamber mufflers and exits in the stock 67 location. Can't beat it for the money. $260. All the hangers they give you bolt to existing holes, and like I said, it fits perfect.

On my car there is no low rumble, it is loud all the time.

------------------
website

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lonnie,
Did you get my email? If so do yoy reconize my car from the phoenix Super Chevy Show in 99 and 2000? The car I am putting the exhaust on is the twin to my race car, hence the name of my race car "The Evil Twin" My 68 Is A real SSRS 396 that I have owned for 22 years, my race car is just 6cyl coupe that I cloned to look like my other 68.
Nick

------------------

·
Registered
579 Posts
Im trying to decide between the American thunder and the crossflow.I dont like the look of the mufflers hanging so i was leaning towards the crossflow setup,how is this system?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nick,I just got your email now, I was at work earlier. Can't say that I recognize it. I raced in '99 but not '00, plus there is a lot of 1st gens. Of course there aren't any that look like mine, with the rare blue with white stripes and red with black stipes paint jobs. hahaha

I hope to take the blue one in 2002.

Lonnie

------------------
website

·
Registered
142 Posts
ochrisl-

I have this system on my 67 Pro-touring car. In my opinion it sounds as good or better than the dual system, plus the ground clearance is excellent. All the system consists of is 2 40 series flows welded end to end with dual in/dual outs. So it is basically the same thing, but with better balancing in the single muffler. The flowmaster rep I talked to said that the single crossflow style system produced more power and sounded better in his opinion. I took his word for it, and he was right. Hope this helps.

Dan

------------------
67-327, 700r4 trans, 9:1 Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers

·
Registered
980 Posts
This kit goes on really easy, unless all your factory mounting locations were as rusted and gummed up as mine were. My problem with it was they sent me 2 tailpipe brackets for the left side, and none for the right. Now they are saying it'll be 2 weeks before they can send me the correct one. Of course I threw the receipt away, so now I've gotta have Summit send me another one. At least the wrong bracket that I have is close enough to get by until they get me the right one.

Personally, I like the less expensive kit that does not include the tailpipes and dumps the exhaust right between the fender and the leaf springs. There is about 1.5 inches of pipe angled down towards the ground -- Looks sweet!

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
mine came with "delta flow" 40 series. They are supposed to be quieter than the standard 40 series at normal cruising and cause less resonance, btu at WOT, they rock.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lonnie,
I was looking at your web site and I remember your Vega from ABQ. I had lived in Rio Rancho for 10 years and used to race out at ABQ National Dragway for years. I even think we have met before didnt you have a light blue 67 or 68 back in the 93 or 94? Mabey you remember me from Renisonce street races or the strip I used to race a Candy red 72 camaro it would run 11.50s and I drove it on the street and at the track also I had a Yellow 39 Ford Coupe with a blown small block in it, in fact I am running the same combo in the race car now.
any how its a small world I guess,
Nick

------------------

1 - 20 of 21 Posts