Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if i have a problem, maybe someone can tell me? Just put in console gauges
And drove it around for a couple of days. Just noticed that when i start up the car gauge moves as i step on gas, it goes up and down as i rev engine. After about 15 secounds it just goes to 0 as i drive. If i turn it off and restart it it does tge same thing. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
32,519 Posts
Aftermarket ammeter?
Repo ammeter?
OE ammeter?
Meter itself is hooked up where in the electrical system of the car?

Most ammeters, OE & repo, are actually millivolt meters and they are conected between the horn relay buss bar and the junction block next to the battery. The gauge shows a difference in potential, read voltage, on the length of wire connecting the two points.

If this is the meter you installed, it's working normally. If you installed a real shunt ammeter, the wire used for hookup would be 8 AWG and its connection would be to the red wire going to the battery from the horn relay buss bar.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have put in the factory console gage cluster from ricks camaros. It reproduction of original. My wiring is one wire from junction box behine the battery, and othe wire hooked to positive on horn relay. Both wires are running to fuse block on engine compartment side.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
AS Everett said that is normal since the ammeter will only move to the +ve side when the alternator is charging and once it gets the battery charged up it doesn't need to be on much.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's normal for it to be at 0 almost all the time?

·
Super Moderator
32,519 Posts
Yep. If you want a real ammeter, Harbour Freight sells a shunt ammeter, 50-0-50 2 inch diameter for $5, and it can be mounted, in either a home made single gauge panel or buy one, on the rad support and remove the two wires from the OE junction block and place the same wires on the meter.

If meter reads backwards, swap meter leads. It's only for indication, no exacting measurements are needed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. It did read backwards at first. I just turned hook up around on back of meter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts