Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

Just wondering what the acceptable millivolt readins should be at the plug in a stock console gauge setup for 69 Camaro. My ammeter quit working, and I wanna be sure its the gauge itself and not somethin in the wiring before buying another one. I get abour -29 mV with interior lights on, car off, goes down more to about -60 mV when iginition is turned on and backup lights come on, then when car is started it immediately goes up to about + 105 mV, and begins dropping down from that rather quickly, and settls off around +60 mV while running. When shut off and nothing is on its around 0, maybe +/- .2 mV. Does this sound normal, as if my wiring to the plug is ok? It seems to correspond with how the gauge used to act, going over to the right quite a bit right after a start and making its way back over to 0 then rather quickly.

Thanks,

Lee

P.S. I will get some pics up of the finished RS conversion soon, gotta fix this issue first, would you believe its awlays something with these cars. Also, wanted to mention, do NOT use the "OER" vacuum relays if you intend to use your RS headlights, they are apparently for "show" only, and fail rather quickly. This is waht i was topld at Ricks 1st Generation when I had to return mine, after failing in 5 uses. THey said they dont have them perfected yet and most ppl only buy for show, if you wanna use the headlights to get the more expoensive but astetically correct GM relay. Just thought I'd give a heads up on this to anyone doing the conversion.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Can't say as I've ever check that. Try using an ohm meter accross the meter terminals (disconnected from the harness). An ohm meter should have enough umph to deflect the needle. Use the lowest scale on your meter.

Amp meters can blow if one of their leads is allowed to touch ground. This can occurr either at the meter or under the hood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts