Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Took the fam out for a few pounds.........

Great weather, great food and a great time.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That Looks Familiar. We've gone down to Plaquemine's Parish a couple times to do some mission work, (Rebuilding). Both times the locals cooked up a batch of fresh catch for us. Good stuff. :yes::yes::yes:

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I grew up next to plaquemines, in St. Bernard. Thanks for the help. What is lost about the bad stuff and the govt. dropping the ball is that the church groups and students have gone above and beyond.

Where's United Way, UNICEF etc etc etc........... All I see are commercials where they are asking for more money due to the hurricane.. Ok Rant over.

Gary, did you suck the heads? Not many people get that far their first time. I have to admit, I don't. You see my kids though? You can tell my wife is Cajun. Let me know if you ever come back down. Crawfish are on me.

Thanks Again,

Rich

·
Registered
374 Posts
We were in Buras first time Jan '06. And just South of St. Bernard last Nov/Dec. We may be going down again next winter. There's been groups from our church going down from time to time, but during the Spring, Summer, Fall I'm just too busy to get away. If we go down again, I'll see if I can look you up. That would be cool.

BTW: " Gary, did you suck the heads? Not many people get that far their first time"
Nope. Not me. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Little spicy too. I bring a BIG bottle of tums. :beers:
There's a guy down there that makes some killer jumbolia (sp).

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "jambalaya" :) can be great, may fav is the chicken and sausage gumbo though!

Rich

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Dang... that's not fair! Now I'm hungry again :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The long winters up here have me missing my old home down there. I will really miss going to the Jambalaya festival this year.And the Strawberry festival.and the crawfish festival.:(

My wife cooks up a good Jambalaya here but cant find andouille sausage around here. Could also use some Boudin balls.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Crawfish boil this Friday night!!! Going to be about 60 LBS I think. Heads are the best part!!! Sucked em when I first tryied crawfish and have like them everysince. I love them spicey HOT!!!! THe hotter the better. Red Potatoe, corn on the cob, mushroom, onion, and sausage make into the boiling pot also. The next thing is plenty of cold beer, good friends, music and some jello shooters!! I can hardly wait until Friday night!!!!

Joe

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I can't believe you guys eat that stuff! LOL. You guys are braver men than I. They live in the ditches up here. The last thing I ate from the ditch was boiled cat tail roots, that was in survival training. Not bad, but still from the ditch.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll take some okra in my jambalaya, please. Jim

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The long winters up here have me missing my old home down there. I will really miss going to the Jambalaya festival this year.And the Strawberry festival.and the crawfish festival.:(

My wife cooks up a good Jambalaya here but cant find andouille sausage around here. Could also use some Boudin balls.

Let me know, I can air mail you some andouille.

Rich

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
In Arkansas they have alot of Farms raising them. They raise them in the rice fields before plowing them under. They eat the un-harvested rice and they feed them some sort of pellet type food as I understand. There is also some intresting fresh water shrimp farming going on. Fresh water shrimp live at the entrance of the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico. Discovery Channel stuff I was watching late one nice about Arkansas. Catfish farming is popular around here also.

Yes heads are the best......basicly all the stuff is boiled out and it's just boil broth left in them, try it but not on cold ones. They have to be fresh from the boil or still warm/hot from the boil. Cold ones taste nasty. Then again I am not to fond of cold tails eiather. All my eatin is done the nite of the boil. After that tails are peeled and frozen for cooking in other stuff. I don't like peeling and eating cold tails.

Joe

·
Registered
595 Posts
crawfish!? they look like mini alien creatures...sorry looks nasty to me

·
Super Moderator
32,786 Posts
It is strange the eating method of bottom feeders ---- crawdads, mini-lobsters without the claws - eat the heads; lobsters, bigger crawdads - eat the tail. Never quite understood the concept.

Don't you ever wonder the only time seafood is eaten, Cajuns don't answer this question, or you can can if you so desire, is when beer is served as a side dish?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'm not a cajun but I LOVE the food. Up here in Seattle, I would love it if there were some more creole food offered. There is a couple of cajun style restaraunts around here but they weren't good.
I guess the bad thing is, I first had creole down in New Orleans back in the 80's when I was there in the Coast Guard. On my off time, my friends and I would drive out to N.O. from Mobile.

The food was just awesome. So I first tried it in N.O. and was spoiled I guess.

So when I was there for Katrina as apart of the Army Guard, we worked so hard and so long that all we got was MRE's and bucket chow. Towards the end of the time I was there, we got to have a day pass to go into 'town'. We were operating in the 9th ward and we didn't leave that area.

So the day comes for my day pass and I had to go with several other soldiers and we were told the rules. We MUST stay together and we can go to NO alchohol serving establishments.
I told them, all I want is some New Orleans food. That's it. That's all I want.
What did these bozo's want? Burger king. Wendy's.
ARE YOU NUTS?? We're in the french quarter of New ORLEANS!!!!!
Let's get some food!!!! REAL food.

When we'd argued long enough, I finally said, you guys can turn me in. There is a restaraunt right there, I'm going NOW. And I walked over there and sat down. They reluctantly followed and sat down.
I ordered, Crawfish Etouffe. They refused to order.
The food was wonderful. I wanted to order another dish but these guys were chomping at the bit to leave.

We went from there to downtown and found a burger king and they ate there.
They didn't know what they were missing.
Real Cajun food is great but its frickin DIVINE when all you've had for a month was MRE's.

This was no restaraunt in Seattle advertising Cajun food, this was the real deal IN New Orleans.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
You have a BBQ place in Seattle owned by an Arkansan. It has won best BBQ for many years now. It's excellent!! I just don't know the name, I want to say it's Jones BBQ but not sure. If your hankerin for some southern food check em out.

Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts