Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lots of Gibson Sg's starting back from 1961 I finally saved up enough money to buy an Angus Young Sg I already have Malcolm Youngs Gretsch. Ive read reviews about Angus guitar theirs and some people say that it goes out of tune alot,I was woundering if anyone else has the Angus Young Sg. Im a huge Ac/Dc fan I play their music on my other Sg's all the time but i never got a chance to play the Angus Young SG's. If anyone has the Angus Young Sg could you tell me some pros and cons about his guitar?
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I can't help, but I saw Gibson SG and had to post. I am seeing Tony Iommi next Friday! I'm pumped for that show. He plays only SGs that I can remember.

I love the way they sound. My guitar friends say they have inherent weak necks. I don't play, so I can't comment.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gibson SG's go out of tune alot because of the whammy bar. If you dont use it, it stays in tune. A Floyd Rose type whammy bar has a locking mechanism on the neck and it stays in tune, but DONT put one on the SG....too valuable.

Check out this collection...

www.petermargolis.com

Bob

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I got one of the faded SG's w/ Marshall 30 watt digital amp and every now and then I crank it up loud.

On a side note I have one helluva guitar pic collection from working all the shows.

Have you ever heard of the a group called the Easybeats (one hit wonder) "Friday on my Mind"
Its Angus youngs brothers' group from old days.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You have to learn to "recalibrate" the whammy by pulling up on it slightly after using it. Using dry graphite on the nut will help alot. The good news is that the SG has a symetrical head stock, so you can deal with the tuning shift -- unlike a strat with an elongated head stock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never use the whammy bar on any of my Sg's.I also have an origonal 1969 Gibson Gold Top Les Paul thats unaged with the factory pick up's. Dose anyone know what the value is of it?

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I never use the whammy bar on any of my Sg's.I also have an origonal 1969 Gibson Gold Top Les Paul thats unaged with the factory pick up's. Dose anyone know what the value is of it?
Give you $50.00. I had a guitar book with values and it's old. It had $8,000.00

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I have a collection old Fenders and Gibson going back to the 60's. But my current favorite is a '61 reissue SG/Les Paul (limited edition) It has the same tuning issues that the old ones do. The 'buckers have the tone that no Fender can come close to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts